Forty: The Cure for Elf Bites

Chapter Forty: The Cure for Elf Bites

“I can’t believe you made me do this,” I yelled at Liam as I desperately clung onto the wall.

Liam was cracking up as skated next to me. “Rena, it’s just like walking, but on ice,” he tried telling me. “Here, take my hand.” Liam offered me his hand.

There was no way I was taking his hand. I was barely able to stay on my feet while grasping something that was attached to the ground itself. I would probably plummet to my death if I even thought about letting go of the wall.

“I’m going to fall if I do.”

“I promise that I won’t let you fall,” he assured me, giving me a patient smile. Did everyone have to have a face I couldn’t say no to? Or was I just a pushover?

I took a deep breath and took one hand off of the wall, placing into Liam’s.

“I can’t do it,” I whined as I stared at my other hand.

“You’re already half way there,” Liam encouraged me and held onto my other hand tighter. “Just close your eyes and I’ll gently pull you away from the wall.”

“You’re lucky that I have to be nice to you today,” I grumbled before shutting my eyes and loosening my grip on the only thing that was keeping me from a nasty crash.

I could feel myself being pulled away. Was this how Rose felt as Jack’s hand slowly slipped away from her?

“See, Rena, you didn’t fall,” Liam said once we stopped moving.

I slowly opened my eyes and indeed saw that we were a good two feet from the wall.

“Haha, Mommy, look at that girl. She’s, like, twice my size and she can’t even ice skate,” a snobby little boy bragged as he glided by with his mother.

“James, don’t be rude,” his mom scolded him.

I glared at the boy. What happened to children these days?

I could skate. I’m going to show that kid what’s—

I let out a scream as I began to tumble forward. Before I could face could go splat on the ice, Liam swung around in front of me, so that I just ended up falling into his chest.

“Maybe you shouldn’t try to show up ten year olds,” Liam told me as he looked down with an amused smile on his face.

“I-I wasn’t,” I muttered in embarrassment. How did he know?

Liam repositioned himself so that he was at my side again, but he kept his arm that he had moved to steady me around my waist.

“You might want to learn how to skate before you actually prove someone wrong,” he teased me again.

“It’s not my fault! If humans were meant to be skating nilly willy on ice, then we all would have been born with ice skating blades on our feet,” I tried justifying my inability to ice skate.

“Right. So if humans were meant to drive cars, we all would have been born with engines and wheels?”

“You know what I mean,” I argued.

“Hey, Rena, guess what?”

“If you say chicken butt, I will smack you,” I warned him.

Liam let out a chuckle. “No, Rena. You’re ice skating.”

“What?” I asked in confusion, but then I realized that I was gliding across the ice, just like the snobby kid. Okay, Liam was still hanging onto me, but that was just a precautionary measure.