Seventeen: Secrets

Comment of the Chapter:
Though i do think she'll end up with Uterus because the wise old lady said they should.
And old people are always right for some reason.
Thanks to ProfessorSexy for her amusing comment. Lawl. "Uterus". I think she meant
"Uranus", but this way, it's more hilarious.  

Chapter Seventeen: Secrets

“Rena!” my little, hospital daycare kids chorused together as I walked through the door of the childcare center.

I always thought it was odd that my local hospital had a daycare center as one of its wings, but I never really wanted to ask. These kids were awesome.

“Hey, kids,” I greeted them causally as I sauntered to the T.V., were all the kids had formed.

“You’re here early today,” Amy noted observantly.

“You don’t sound too happy about that,” I teased the little girl as she sent me a worried glance, obviously not getting teasing manner.

“I am!” She flashed me a bright smile and through the big smile she tried saying, “See?”

I rolled my eyes playfully, then I took note of the other children, who I wasn’t familiar with. Sometimes random kids would be here last minute because their parents had no other alternatives. But, I was pretty close with all the “regulars”.

“Why are you guys just watching TV?” I wondered aloud as I watched the kids mindlessly gazed at the television, which was playing a rerun of Spongebob.

I got no answer.

“They’ve become zombies,” Amy whispered to me.

I laughed at her explanation.

“Seriously, Rena. The show has brainwashed them.”

“Maybe you’ve been watching too much TV.”

“But I’m not a zombie,” Amy argued as she huffed and crossed her arms over her chest in exasperation.

“Whatever, Amy. I’ll be right back, but try getting the other kids to do something else,” I told her as I tried to find Amelia, the other volunteer here.

“Hey,” I greeted said volunteer as I spotted the twenty-something year-old slouching on the couch, reading a magazine. “Have they been doing that all day?” I asked, referring to the kids.

“Yup,” she answered straightforwardly. She didn’t even bother looking up at me.

“Have you tried getting them to do something else?”

“Nope.”

“Okay then,” I said, sounding a bit more annoyed then I meant to. It’s just that I don’t see why Amelia volunteered here. She never did anything on her shift and she didn’t need volunteer credits.

“I’m taking my break now,” Amelia declared, finally saying more than one word. The college girl got up from her couch and walked straight out the door without another word.

Forcing my annoyance away, I returned to the kids.

“No! Rena said to!” I could hear Amy’s shout from the corner. I picked up my pace once I heard a crash.

“What’s going on here?” I asked sternly once I saw the scene displayed before me.

Amy had the TV plug in her outstretched hand and was standing on a chair while the other daycare kids were trying to reach it from the ground.