Not How I Expected, But It'll Do

“It sucks Remus and Lily are Head Boy and Girl,” James grumbled as he stood next to Sirius. Sirius hummed from beside him as he found his attention drawn to the Slytherin line of students. Saphira stood at the front with the Lestrange boy.  She seemed to be teaching a first year a lesson. He smirked at the thought. He knew Saphira’s punishments could be severe.

“Hey, Prongs. Can I borrow the Map later tonight?” Sirius asked suddenly as James quirked an eyebrow at him before nodding.

“Sure. Wait,” James frowned before continuing.

“What for, Pads?” He questioned suspiciously as Sirius shrugged.

“I’m going to jump Lestrange when he goes on his duties tonight,” He answered easily. James stared him down for a moment more before nodding his head.

“If that’s all you’re going to do,” He responded as Sirius nodded his head. The two easily followed the rest of the Gryffindors up to the Tower where Lily and Remus told everyone about the new password. James and Sirius smirked when they heard it.

“Animagus is the password, eh?” Sirius questioned aloud as James chuckled. A sudden strange laugh caught the two boys off guard. They turned and saw Peter. Funny, they hadn’t noticed him before then.

“Sirius, James, I know both of you will be on your best behavior tonight right?” Lily asked as the five of them stood around the portrait hole. Remus shook his head, knowing his friends wouldn’t even blink at the prospect of getting caught by neither him nor Lily.  

“Sure, Lils.” Sirius responded flippantly as he and James chuckled.

“I’m going to go make a few rounds, Reg. Get to bed. You have double potions in the morning,” Saphira remarked as she climbed to her feet from her place on the plush sofa. Regulus whined as she left his side.

“Phira─ don’t go. Let Rab do it!” He suggested as Saphira shook her head.

“No.  Get to bed, Regulus. I mean it,” Saphira replied firmly as she pulled her tangled blonde curls away from her face.  Regulus whined again before conceding. Saphira waited until she watched him disappear into the dormitory before leaving the common room. Even in September, the air around her was chilly. She could see her breath. She sighed as she hugged her robes closer to her and started her rounds. Just as she entered the front hall, she ran into a large mass.

“Hey! Watch where you’re going, twit!” She growled before turning to glare at the person. Her eyes widened when her eyes landed on Sirius Black’s form.  Sirius scoffed before opening his eyes to stare at her.

“Malfoy?” He questioned, unsure if what he was seeing was real.

“As far as I remember, yeah,” Saphira replied darkly. She turned to stomp away, afraid the Gryffindor would see the pain and longing in her eyes. His hand on around her arm stopped her from going anywhere.

“I’ve wanted to talk to you, for a long time, Saphira,” Sirius admitted quietly as Saphira’s breath hitched in her throat.

“You aren’t dating my brother are you?” He asked as Saphira shook her head, still unable to face him. She heard Sirius sigh.

“That’s good,” Saphira frowned as she turned to face him.

“Why is that good? I’m engaged to marry him and I haven’t even dated him yet!” She exclaimed in annoyance as Sirius dropped his hold of her in shock.

“What?” Was all he could stutter as he stared at her. Saphira’s frown deepened as she quirked an eyebrow.

“Didn’t you know that? Isn’t he your brother?” Saphira questioned as Sirius shook his head.

“I moved out over the summer. Is that when you got engaged? Over the summer?” Sirius felt his heart break at the news. That was why Regulus had been dangling Saphira in front of him. That twit had proposed to her. He growled at the thought.

“Yeah. Our parents arranged it. I was supposed to be engaged to you, however, it seems you were disowned.” Saphira informed him as he stared at her. He was supposed to be engaged to her? His mother had known that. He scowled.

“Did you know about this before now?” He growled as Saphira shrugged.

“Sure. I thought you did too. That was why you went through all the trouble of courting me or whatever you were doing last year,” She answered softly. Sirius paused.

“Courting you? We spent half of the year fighting!” He exclaimed as Saphira smirked.

“I thought that was your way of courting,” She replied as Sirius chuckled.

“Would you like me to court you, Miss Malfoy?”

“Hardly. I’m engaged, remember?”  She responded darkly. Sirius frowned as the two stared at one another. Saphira sighed as Sirius finally released her arm. However, before she could stop him, he captured her lips with his own. Saphira fought against him for a brief second before giving into her urges as she wrapped her arms around his neck. Sirius tangled his fingers in her curled blonde hair. When the two of them separated, a flush crept across both of their cheeks.

“Merlin, I missed that,” Sirius muttered lowly as Saphira chuckled.

“Missed what?” She asked with a tilt of her head. Sirius smirked as he leaned forward again.

“You,” He whispered.  Saphira stared at him before smiling as she pressed her forehead against his.

“I knew you would, twit,” She mumbled softly before they both chuckled. Quick, loud footsteps distracted the pair as they separated. James Potter rounded the corner with determination as he glared at Saphira Malfoy.

“Padfoot, what are you doing?” He asked as Saphira looked between the two friends.

“Nice to see you too, Potter,” She grumbled darkly as she folded her arms across her chest.

“Malfoy, what kind of game are you playing here? You hate him!” James exclaimed in annoyance at the blonde. Every time he thought she was out of their lives, she managed to wriggle herself back into it.

“Weren’t you the one pushing us together last year, Potter?” She questioned with a scowl. Sirius looked between his best friend and the blonde, unsure of how this conversation was going to turn out.

“That was a mistake, obviously. I heard the twit Regulus and you are engaged, now,” James remarked as Saphira frowned before nodding.

“Yes, obviously, because Sirius got himself disowned. I was passed to his younger brother,” She replied furiously.

“Prongs, don’t man.” Sirius warned as he stepped forward.

“Don’t what, Pads? This girl made you into a zombie last year! I’ll be damned if I let her do it again,” James argued as Saphira scoffed.

“Right well, I’m going to go now. Obviously you both have some issues to work out,” Saphira mentioned before she turned to walk away.