It Couldn't Get Any Worse, Right?

After that day, Sirius didn't see Saphira. At mealtimes, she was gone before he got there. In the hallways, it seemed she was always disappearing into a classroom before he could reach her. He didn't even look for her dot on the Map. Slowly, he let her go. He pulled more practical jokes. He snuck out of Hogwarts with his friends more. Slowly he became the Sirius Black he had been before Saphira Malfoy. And it tore through James Potter and Remus Lupin like a serrated blade.

"Where's Pads?" James asked one night when he noticed his friend missing. Remus shrugged as he looked up from his book.

"He said something about going out with Claire Ratliff," he answered as James frowned. He easily pulled the Map from his nearby school bag and he tapped the parchment with his wand.

"I solemnly swear I'm up to no good," he whispered and he watched a outline of Hogwarts appear. James easily located the dot titled Sirius Black. And true to his word, Sirius was indeed with a dot named Claire Ratliff. James replaced the parchment as Remus looked to him for confirmation.

"Yeah, he's with her."  He commented as he stretched across the couch.

"Potter!" Lily Evans called as she moved in front of the relaxing boy. James jumped up with a grin.

"Hey, Evans!" He greeted as Lily frowned at him. She folded her arms across her chest and pinned her emerald eyes on his form.

"Did you tell Sirius to just let Malfoy go?" She asked, disgruntled. James nodded and Lily groaned before rolling her eyes.

"You're not allowed to give relationship advice!" She ordered as James looked dejected. His smile fell as he watched Lily storm away. Remus chuckled behind his book and James glared at him.

"It's not funny, Moony! Evans is mad at me!" He exclaimed as Remus smirked.

"When isn't she mad at you?" He asked before James waved him off. The night continued on as quietly as possible. James soon fell asleep staring into the flickering flames of the common room fire. Remus remained engrossed with his book. And Peter, well Peter sat in the corner.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Phira!" Regulus exclaimed as he found the blonde sneaking out of the common room. Saphria turned to him quickly and slammed her hand over his mouth.

"Quiet, you idiot!" She growled before pulling her hand away. Regulus stared at her before frowning.

"If Lucius catches you..." He started to warn but the look in his friend's eyes told him she knew the consequences if she were caught.

"He's not going to. I'm just going for a walk, ok? If you want, you can come with me," She offered. Honestly, she wanted the company of the young Black. Severus had become unbearable after hearing about her encounter with Sirius and James. He had slowly turned into a puppet for Lucius.

"Sure!" Regulus agreed excitedly. He walked in step beside the Malfoy girl. He was quiet and Saphira felt that he was studying her. No one had probably told him why Lucius had become so protective. Honestly, she didn't want to tell him. Sirius was a sore spot and Saphira knew it.

"You know," Regulus began as Saphira turned to him.

"You've never asked me to tag along on your walk before," He commented as Saphira shrugged.

"Severus has been insufferable. Right now, the further he is from me, the better," She replied darkly as Regulus tilted his head. Saphira took note that his hair wasn't as long as his older brother's or quite as dark.

"Yeah, why has he been such a prick?" Regulus asked, concerned for both Severus and Saphira. They had been his best friends since his first year. Only a year ahead of him, they had taken him under their wings.

"Long story," Saphira mumbled darkly. Regulus frowned.

"Are you going anywhere for the summer?" Saphira changed the subject as she noticed Regulus suspicion. Regulus was a better companion when he didn't know everything she had done. After all, the Slytherin hated his Gryffindor brother.

"Saphira, what happened?" Regulus seemed undeterred by Saphira's obvious play at subject change. Suspicion and worry now countermixed across his countenance and Saphira frowned.

"Reg, it's history ok? No need to bring it up," She replied as Regulus's frown deepened.

"Then why is it bothering Severus so much?" He growled in response as Saphira paused to stare at him. It was the first time she had seen the boy get bad at her. And truthfully, he scared her a bit. He was too much like his brother with their fierceness.

"Oh, Sirius!" A giggle distracted the Slytherins as Regulus stared behind Saphira. Saphira knew who'd she see when she turned around, but she did it anyways. Sirius stood frozen with his arm draped over the shoulder of a Hufflepuff brunnette.  Saphira willed herself to turn and walk away.

"Malfoy?" Sirius stuttered as Regulus glared at him.

"Get." He ordered as Saphira placed her hand on his arm, trying to draw him away. Sirius, however, stepped closer.

"I don't take orders from miserable twits like you, Regulus," Sirius growled as Regulus scoffed. Saphira looked between the Black brothers, fearing the conflict that was arising.

"Reg, let's go, ok?" Saphira pleaded, pulling on the Slytherin's arm. They were risking getting caught by the caretaker or worse, her brother. She couldn't risk it.

"Regulus, let's go. Now," She commanded as the two brothers turned to stare at her. Her icy eyes flashed dangerously before Regulus conceded and followed her away from his brother. Sirius stared at her, suddenly wanting her back. He had thought he'd gotten over the blonde Malfoy, but he had been wrong. Seeing her again with his brother just made him want her again and kill Regulus at the same time. He didn't know what to do with all his emotions. So he did the only thing he knew wouldn't backfire, he led his Hufflepuff date to back to her common room and returned to the Gryffindor tower. He was intent on forgetting the Malfoy heiress.

Saphira sighed when she lost view of Sirius. She had forced herself to forget about him. He was bad for her. He was a blood traitor. Regulus seethed as he walked beside her. He felt cheated. He knew he could've won in a brawl against his brother. His brother would show mercy towards him, but Regulus wouldn't. He was a Slytherin after all. He turned to Saphira, intent on giving her a piece of his mind. Instead, he found her deep in thought; hurt echoed in her eyes. It was the first time in four years he had ever seen the girl look so defeated. So he did the only thing he could think of. He wrapped a strong arm around her shoulder and led her back to the dungeons. Saphira didn't put up a fight. After all, it was where she was safe.