Losing Ground Isn't Very Fun.

Before reading, I'd just like you to know that this chapter isn't as awesome as I'd like it to be. It seems I've gotten myself sick and it's trickling into my work.

So I apologize for the shortness of the chapter and the awfulness of it. Thank you all for your support.

________________________________________________________________________________

Sirius tried to search for Saphira after the library incident. However, Lucius did everything in his power to prevent that. He used his family's pull with the school to get her schedule changed. At meal times, she was surrounded by most, if not all, of the Slytherin Quidditch team. At night, Sirius would find her dot on the Map and see it surrounded by Slytherins. He knew she was a prisoner now.

"It's bollocks," he growled as he and James sat next to each other in History of Magic. James frowned, agreeing with his friend. Lucius was a cold bastard to control his sister.

"Excuse me, Professor Binns?" Sirius and James perked up as they turned to see Saphira holding a stack of scrolls. She seemed well enough, Sirius noted as he studied her. He was expecting rags and chains. Sirius wasn't a very clever soul.  Professor Binns looked up and floated toward the girl.

"What is it, Miss Gillead?"

"It's Malfoy, sir. Um, Professor Stark asked me to bring these to you." She answered with a scowl as she blew a puff of air out in annoyance. Professor Stark was the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and he was a little bent in Saphira's opinion.

"Indeed well," Professor Binns turned to his class and searched the faces for helpers.

"Fowl, Brinson, come help the girl," he ordered as he pointed at Sirius and James. They rolled their eyes. Professor Binns was infamous for forgetting names. Sirius jumped to his feet and James was close behind him as they practically ran to the girl.

"Saphira," Sirius sighed when he reached her. She smiled.

"Hey," She replied softly. Binns seemed unconcerned that he was in the middle of a reunion.

"Fowl, Brinson, go with Gillead and get the rest of my scrolls," He ordered as James and Sirius nodded.  Saphira dropped her current load of scrolls on a nearby empty desk and led the three out into the hall. As soon as the door slammed shut behind them, Sirius pulled Saphira against him in a tight hug.  James stood off to the side, keeping an eye out for Slytherin spies.

"Merlin, I missed you," Sirius whispered before he captured Saphira's lips with his own. She pulled away quickly with a frown.

"I can't," She muttered as she turned to James.

"Potter, stop looking so suspicious. Lucius is out of the castle for now. Father called for him," She explained as she turned back Sirius. He looked different, she thought as she studied him. His hair was brushed but it seemed it lacked that luster it used to possess. His eyes were dully lit.

"Are you alright? He hasn't hurt you has he?" Sirius asked in concern. James rolled his eyes, but he felt concerned for the Slytherin's well-being as well.

"I'm fine. Honestly," She commented, watching the disbelief flicker across their features. She feigned a smile. She wasn't lying. Lucius hadn't harmed her. He had simply restricted her very existance.

"Just leave," Sirius growled as the three started their trek back to the Defense Against The Dark Arts classroom. Saphira walked between the two brunettes and tucked a few strands of her white-blonde hair behind her ear.

"I can't just leave, Sirius. Where would I go?" She answered logically as James frowned. The Slytherin was right. Sirius may have left his family, but he had simply moved in with James. Saphira had no one to catch her if she fell. Her family was her only lifeline.

"Anywhere but there!" Sirius snarled as he clenched his fists at his sides. He didn't like seeing the power Lucius held over his sister. It was sucking the very life out of her. And he would bet a thousand galleons, the foul git didn't even notice.

"He's leaving in 4 months. After that, I'm queen," She responded darkly. The staircase shifted beneath them, but they didn't notice.

"What about Snivellus?" James questioned with a scrunched up nose.

"Severus isn't doing anything, but following my brothers orders." Saphira replied with a shrug. She looked up and her eyes widened.

"Saphira!"  A sharp voice cut the air with precision as her brother's icy steel grey eyes met hers. Sirius and James looked up in surprise and felt dread sink into the pit of their stomachs.

"What are you doing?" Lucius snarled as he stomped down the stairs. Sirius started to move in front of Saphira but James stopped him.

"Lucius! I thought you were with daddy!" Saphira exclaimed as panic rose in her chest. She could feel her heart beating a hole in her ribcage. Lucius's calloused hand gripped Saphira's elbow with force and she winced.

"Our business finished early. What are you doing with these dogs?" Lucius bent close to Saphira as he hissed.

"Professor Stark asked me to bring some scrolls to Professor Binns and Binns sent Black and Potter to help me collect the rest!" She explained as Lucius quirked an eyebrow. Saphira could tell he was furious and she knew he wouldn't believe her story, even if it were the truth.

"Well I'm sure these idiots can finish the job without you," Lucius growled before pulling Saphira away from Sirius and James. The Malfoy siblings disappeared up the stairs and around a nearby corner. James fought to hold Sirius back.

"You can't go after her! Padfoot, if you care about her, let her go!" James yelled as Sirius turned to him in shock. James was the posterboy for rescuing people, when he wasn't torturing Snape.

"Prongs, did you see the way he grabbed her? She's not safe there!" Sirius growled as he used his hand to motion up the stairs. James shook his head.

"Sirius, I know you think that she can just up and leave her family like you did, but she can't! It would be cruel to make her," James explained as Sirius's frown deepened.

"Why can't she leave?" He asked in a snarl. James sighed as he released his friend.

"Because she has no one to fall back on. And she loves her family. Malfoy couldn't betray them," James answered logically. Sirius's frown fell and James felt he understood a little better than before.

"But what about me? What am I supposed to do? Just let her let them ruin her life?" Sirius questioned; melancholy spread across his features.

"Pads, I'm not going to pretend to know what you should do. I'm just suggesting that you let her go, mate. You and her were just never meant to be," James replied sullenly. He watched the defeat spread across his friend's features. It killed Sirius to lose something he cared about to someone he despised.

"Let's go," James suggesting as they returned to History of Magic, empty handed.