Silence Is Golden? Ch. 18

Hey guys! I know it's been a long time....please forgive me?

It's been a stressful month and I just cnt rele find the motivation for writing anymore u kno? jst nevr in the mood!

But anywho I know its not the longest chaptr! Im so sorry!!!

LOVE YOU ALL!

Cheesehead

Chapter Eighteen

          My palms were sweating profusely so I tried to inconspicuously wipe them on my pants as Mrs. Doubt stared at me in shock. I bit my lip and waited for her to say something but instead she just continued to stare at me. “Mrs. Doubt, if this is a bad time,” I started.

          Instead of answering, Nate’s mother pulled me into a tight hug. She smoothed my hair back and started to cry on my shoulder. I understood her pain but it was a little awkward for me just standing there. So I gently wrapped my arms around her too and rubbed her back.

          When she pulled away she was sniffing loudly and her eyes were red. “You were really something to Nate,” I whispered, wiping away her tears. “Every time you were around or someone mentioned your name his eyes always lit up.”

          “Nate was special to me too,” I told her as I rubbed her arm gently. I left out the part where he killed a bunch of students and almost killed me too.

          “Well don’t just stand out there,” Mrs. Doubt sniffed, “Come in and talk with the family. I winced slightly but nodded anyway. Mrs. Doubt gave me a small smile before she led me into her house.

          “Isabel?” Ted asked in shock. I winced slightly when I saw him. He looked so much like Nate and it was Nate who gave Ted the nickname Ted. It was a stupid nickname but it caught on immediately. “What are you doing here?” Ted asked.

          “Just in the neighborhood,” I answered dumbly. Nate’s little brother gave me a pained look but nodded anyway before he sat down on the couch.

          “Mr. Doubt is at work,” Mrs. Doubt muttered lamely, “So you’ll have to talk with him another time.” She led me to the couch and sat down next to me.

          “That’s alright,” I gulped as I played with my hands. The conversations we had were weak and pointless and I was getting anxious about finding the note and getting Luke out of jail. “Could I, um, use your bathroom?” I asked with an awkward smile.

          “Oh of course,” Mrs. Doubt told me, “Go right on up dear, our home is yours.”

          “Thank you,” I said honestly. I quickly jumped off the couch and walked as fast as I could up the stairs. I walked down the hall and stopped right in front of Nate’s bedroom door. Could I really do this? Go through the personal stuff of a dead guy?

          Yes I could, I finally thought. I pushed Nate’s door open before I had any second thoughts. I closed my eyes tightly and waited for something to jump out at me. Instead I was just standing there like an idiot.

          I opened my eyes and looked around Nate’s room. It was just as how I remember it- a complete mess. Obviously no one had been in here after Nate died. I let out a small sigh before I walked around the room. I went straight to the bed and lifted the pillows up.

          No list.

          Then I searched around on the floor and under the bed. Once again: no list. I let out a frustrated growl as I started recklessly searching through the room. Where was it? Where was that list?

          Tears started streaming down my face as I realized I would not be finding this list. “Isabel?” A small voice called. I whirled around and stared in shock at Ted.

          “What?” I snapped, rubbing my hand under my nose.

          “What are you doing?” Ted screamed, “What are you doing in here? It’s not right to do this, be respectful, my brother just passed!”

          “I’m not stupid,” I wailed, “I know he’s gone! I’m trying to find something!”

          “What?” Ted cried, “What could be so possibly important that you would have to destroy my brother’s room?” Instead of answering that I just let out a painful sob.

          “What is going on up here,” Mrs. Doubt called. She appeared in the doorway seconds later and gasped loudly. “Isabel, what have you done?”

          “I’m looking for something,” I muttered weakly.

          “You could have just told me you needed something from in here,” Mrs. Doubt whimpered, “I would have just gotten it for you. You didn’t have to tear his room apart.”

          “You wouldn’t have known what I was talking about,” I explained as I continued to search through the room. I was completely determined on finding this list so that I could make sure Luke got out of jail.

          “Isabel, stop,” Mrs. Doubt commanded, and when I didn’t stop she yanked me back. “Isabel, stop it.” I stared up at her with my eyes filled with tears. “Why are you doing this?” Mrs. Doubt asked.

          “I need to find something,” I spit out. I wrenched my arm from out of her grip and continued to search through the room. Mrs. Doubt and Ted just continued to stare at me in shock. “It’s not here,” I finally sobbed in defeat.

          “Isabel, I’m gona have to ask you to leave,” Mrs. Doubt told me with an upset look on her face.

          “Whatever,” I grumbled, “At least I’m not related to a killer.”

          It was silent for a moment as I walked towards the door. “What did you say?”Mrs. Doubt hissed. I stopped walking and stared at Ted. He looked at me in shock and pain as if he couldn’t believe what I just said.

          “Never mind,” I muttered.

          “Let’s not forget, Ms. Isabel,” Mrs. Doubt growled, “It was your boyfriend that killed all of those people don’t you dare go blaming it on my son.”

          “Right,” I mumbled, too defeated to talk. “That’s what happened.”