Silence Is Golden? Ch. 17

Hey guys im having writers block just in general im finding it rele hard to write idk why so please spare me:(

Sorry it's so short!!

Cheesehead

Chapter Seventeen

          Apparently you had to have your name on a list in order to visit someone in prison, but with a lot of convincing, and water works, I was able to go see Luke this one time. Then I would have to get his mother to put my name on the list until he turned eighteen, which was only a few months away, and then he would be able to put my name on the list.

          An officer sat me in a chair near a phone and in front of a glass window. I looked around nervously as I waited for Luke to be seated in front of me. Minutes later, he was there. My eyes filled up with tears and I could feel my bottom lip quiver.

          Luke looked awful. He had bags under his eyes, cuts on his face and neck, and his hair looked like it hadn’t seen a brush in weeks. Once Luke saw me his eyes widened and he immediately picked up the phone. When I didn’t respond he signaled for me to grab the phone too. With shaky hands I picked up the phone and pressed it to my ear. “Isabel?” Luke snapped, “What are you doing here?”

          “I came here to see you,” I mumbled into the phone, looking down at the table.

          “I told you not to,” He growled.

          “But I had too,” I started.

          “No, Isabel, I want you to listen to me closely,” Luke ordered, “This is going to happen like I said it’s going to happen. Don’t mess this up, Isa, or else I won’t forgive you.”

          “Luke,” I whimpered, “Please…I can’t…I can’t…”

          “Yes, you can,” He demanded, “You have too, Isa, you just have too.”

          “Why are you doing this?” I asked, “What’s wrong with you? Why would this even be a possibility?”

          “It just is,” Luke snapped, slamming his fist against the table. I flinched and looked around to see if anyone was watching us.

          “Fine,” I spat as tears brimmed my eyes. “Remember when we picked up Nate for TK’s party and when you went to Florida?”

          “Yeah?” He answered slowly.

          “Well both times I was in Nate’s room,” I started.

          “Isa, if you’re going to tell me you cheated on me,” Luke snarled, “I don’t want to hear it.”

          “No,” I snapped, “That’s not what I was going to say. I was going to say was that while Nate was getting changed in the bathroom there was this piece of paper hanging out under Nate’s pillow. It was a list.”

          “A list?”

          “Yeah, a list,” I nodded, “And I think we both know what it means because it had all of our names on it…”

          Luke pressed his lips together and looked around. When he looked back at me his once cold eyes had softened slightly. “Alright, Isa, I want you to listen to me closely.”

          I nodded eagerly.

          “I want you to find that list,” Nate whispered, “but if you can’t find it we are sticking to the plan, got that Isabel? If you can’t find the list I don’t want you to say anything.”

          “Okay,” I mumbled.

          Luke sighed lightly and I watched as his face softened considerably. He gripped the phone tightly and closed his eyes as he hung his head. My hands were shaking, but I didn’t do anything until Luke told me what was on his mind. “I’m doing this because I love you,” He mumbled, “Don’t think any different.”

          I gulped loudly and rubbed the tears away with the palm of my hand. “I’ll fix it,” I told him, “I’ll make it all better.”

          Luke smirked slightly and rolled his eyes at me. “Alright,” He nodded, “But if you can’t find that stupid list then we’re sticking to the plan, understood?”

          “Yes,” I mumbled.

          “Good,” He nodded, “Now go find that list.” I bit down hard on my lip and nodded also. I hung the phone up and shakily got to my feet and left the room without even saying goodbye.

          As I was leaving the prison someone caught my arm and I flinched away instantly. I whirled around and saw a guy in a suit, maybe in his early thirties, smirking at me. “Sorry, didn’t mean to scare you,” He told me.

          “Can I help you with something?” I asked, pulling my arm out of his grip.

          “If you’re Isabel Dawson then yes you can,” He smiled.

          I winced and nodded my head, “Yeah, that’s me. Who are you?”

          “Joseph Brooks,” He introduced, “And I’m your boyfriend’s lawyer. He carries your picture with him so that’s how I recognized you. I was wondering if we could talk for a little?”

          I bit down hard on my lip and my palms started to get sweaty. “I’m not so sure about that,” I told him.

          “Well you are going to be a witness at the trial right?” Brooks asked. He looked at me with smoldering brown eyes and I felt as if he could tell I knew something.

          “I haven’t decided yet,” I answered.

          “Well decide soon,” He ordered, “Because it’s coming up and you’ll need to be prepared for it.”

          “Prepared?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

          “Sure,” Brooks shrugged, “The questions I would ask probably won’t be too bad, but I can’t guarantee that about the prosecutor.”

          “Right,” I muttered, “Well I need to think about it and ask my older brother about it too.”

          Joseph Brooks nodded reluctantly before he handed me his card. “Give me a call when you make up your mind,” He instructed. He gave me a slight wave before he walked into the prison- probably to talk with Luke.

          I stalked towards my brother’s car, which I had taken without his permission, and got into the driver’s seat. I crumbled the card in my hand and threw it into the passenger seat. I didn’t even know what I was going to do, but I knew the last thing I wanted to do was call that lawyer.

          I took in a few deep breaths while my hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, and forced myself to buck up the courage to drive to Nate’s house.