Auction

Rose’s P.O.V

“What do you want?” I asked with acid.

He sighed. “Look, I’m sorry about the argument last night.” He said uncomfortably.

My eyes squinted. “Is this the first time you’ve ever apologized to a girl?” I teased.

He smiled. “Yeah, so cut me some slack?” He suggested.

I shook my head. “No, I’m not so gullible.” I scowled.

He frowned. “Listen, Rose, I-” He began modestly, but was interrupted when the fire alarm buzzed. I picked up my bag and headed outside with the rest of the student body. Kaolin followed steadily behind me. I spotted Sammie rushing down the stairs with a very mischievous grin. I pulled her down to me. She giggled.

“What’s so funny, Sam?” I asked with a raised brow.

“Oh, nothing.” She glanced down. I would’ve asked her more questions, but Heath walked over to us as we made way outside.

“That’s how it’s going to be from now on.” Kaolin mumbled as he passed by. I studied him for a moment. His head was down and his shoulder shrugged forward. I spotted Ashley as I continued down the field.

“Hey, Ash.” I said once I reached her.

She turned and smiled at me. “Hey, hun.” She kissed my cheek. “So what’s been going on?” She raised an eyebrow.

“Well, Sammie and Heath are together and she’s helping get with you-know-who.” I said softly.

She grinned. “That’s why you’re dressed all sexy?” She frowned. “And here I thought this was all for me.” She winked.

I giggled and raised an eyebrow. “Oh lala, you know it is baby!” I teased.

“Why do I always come in at the wrong parts of your conversation?” I heard Caleb ask from behind me. I spun around to hug him. He laughed and hugged me back.

“I feel like I haven’t seen you in forever!” I murmured. He chuckled and leaned forward, possibly kissing Ashley. I looked over Caleb shoulder to see kaolin staring at me while Sammie spoke to Heath privately. Caleb moved back and blocked my view.

“Alright! It’s safe to get back into the building!” Mrs. Po said. We all headed inside. “Head to the auditorium, children! We have a pep-rally.” I groaned.

Ashley laughed. She knew how much I hated school events. However, I followed everyone into the school complex. The cheerleaders pranced on stage and I could hear the football team hooting at them. I rolled my eyes. I looked over at Caleb, who looked a bit upset. Ever since his accident at the championship game, he hasn’t been able to play any sports, but baseball. It must’ve really hurt him, I know he loved football.

I glanced over to Heath, who didn’t pay anyone mind, but Sammie. My eyes shifted to Kaolin who was flirting with Karol. I tried not to vomit and looked back at Sammie who was smiling at me. I raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“Hey everybody!” Courtney, the captain of the cheerleaders, chimed.

“Hi!” The student body, mostly guys, responded.

“Okay, so we’ve decided to hold an auction for single guys in our school!” The guys began to whistle. “Sammie why don’t you join me up here.”

Quickly, Sammie jumped on stage. “Hey.” She said quietly. “So, I’m going to call up the ladies and when they’re up here you guys have to bid an offer for them. Who ever wins gets to take the ladies on a date, paid for by the school.”