Chapter 50

Around two in the afternoon of Christmas Eve, Harry and I were allowed to go home. I was informed of the usual "take it easy." I always try to take things easy, but those things are not always in my complete control.

Harry helped me get into the car, holding my hand as I lowered myself into the seat. I had a feeling he would be by my side for the whole remainder of this pregnancy. He was worrisome, but I understood why.

"It's going to be nice going home," Harry grinned as he adjusted his seatbelt and started up the car. "Celebrate Christmas just the two of us."

"What about our families?" I asked.

"They said they were coming over tomorrow instead," he said, glancing over at me. "It's been a rough few days, so I thought maybe we should settle in first. Everyone was fine with that," he said.

"Alright," I nodded, unsure of how to feel about not spending Christmas Eve with everyone. I rested my hand on the bottom of my stomach, feeling the soft prods within.

The drive home was most Harry humming along with the Christmas music playing on the radio. I watched as he bopped his head to the music, his lips pouted slightly and moving along with the song. Every so often, he would look over towards me giving me a small half grin. I could see he was happy to be going home. I was too.

When we got home, Anne and Gemma greeted us in the entrance of the castle. They both gave me a hug telling me how happy they were to see me. Before I could even begin to hold a conversation with them, Harry told them I was going to rest back in our little home.

"You didn't have to do that," I said to him. "I've only seen you for the past few days."

"I want you to rest, the family is coming over tomorrow," he said, pulling his keys from his jacket pocket. I sighed and walked through the now open front door. Phoenix began barking frantically as she bound down the stairs. Harry grabbed her by the collar as she began rushing towards me. I smiled down at her, running my hands over her floppy ears.

"Calm down," Harry said, rubbing her stomach and patting her. She licked his cheek happily.

I walked past the two and saw that damn tree Harry insisted he put up. I looked at it in confusion before speaking to Harry.

"Hey," I called. "Did you have the maids put the gifts under the tree?"

"What gifts?" he asked, walking into the living room. "I didn't do that," he said, pointing to the tree.

The entire bottom of the tree was filled with gifts, both large and small. I walked over to it and gently turned over some tags and they all had different names of our family members. I shook my head, a smile forming on my lips. I knew Anne and Gemma weren't going to let us spend Christmas Eve alone.

"What?" Harry asked.

"You do know your mother and sister completely dismissed them coming over for Christmas Eve, right?" I asked, crossing my arms. "Some presents are for them, others are for my family members. That big box over there is for Callie and Joseph."

"How—"

"So I see you found the gifts," Gemma greeted walking in, pushing a large metal cart. "I come bearing our early dinner. Your family just pulled up, well, at least your Mum and Michael."

"You ignored me!" Harry said to her. "I told you guys that Em and I were going to settle back in." Gemma let out an exhausted sigh as her brother continued on about how she disobeyed his request.

"Okay Mr. Royal Sassy Pants, are you finished?" she asked, crossing her arms. "Apart from you, her mother and me know your wife quite well. It's Christmas Eve, why would she want to spend it with just you? She does that every other day of the year. We know this because she's pregnant."

Harry scowled at his sister. She just did a quick raise of her eyebrows and smiled over at me. Anne walked in with a cart as well. She looked at her kids with a confused look. I shook my head telling her not to ask.

"Sweetie, get that in the kitchen," Anne said, pushing her own cart past her. "I can't wait to see everyone! It's been a while since we were all in the same place!"

Harry still looked annoyed. I walked over to him and ran my hand up and down his arm. I leaned up and kissed his cheek gently.

"Be nice," I whispered in his hair. "It's Christmas, don't be Scrooge."

"I'm not," he said.

"Then put a happy smile on your face and enjoy the festivities that go with Christmas," I said, pinching his cheek. "Otherwise I'm sending you to our room."

"You can't send me away in my own house," he said.

"Want to test that theory?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"No," he said, shaking his head, a small smile appearing on his lips. One of his arms wrapped around my shoulders, pulling me into his side. I looked up at him as he leaned down, his lips meeting mine in a quick kiss.

"Mum! Emerald has fixed him," Gemma said. "He's no longer the grumpy Scrooge. And big shock, they're displaying their love."

"Be nice," Anne's voice rang from the kitchen.

Christmas was in full swing, the house was full of chatter amongst both of our families. I was walking between everyone, saying hello and catching up with them. When I glanced over to Harry, he had his arms crossed as he sat alone on the sofa with Phoenix laying by his feet.

"What's up?" I asked, walking up behind him and draping my arms over him. He looked up at me.

"Nothing," he shook his head. "Not really in the Christmas mood."

"Bah-humbug," I pouted, kissing his cheek. "What's wrong?"

"Just thinking about everything in our lives," he said. "The attacks mostly. I have no idea how we're going to beat them before the baby arrives. They're ruthless and willing to do anything."

"Well, Eaton and Niall are the world's worst kidnappers ever," I rolled my eyes. "They slept through me walking out of the cabin. They were heavily drunk and passed out."

"That's the thing," he said. "It seems like it was too easy, Em."

"I don't know," I sighed, walking over to sit on his lap. "I don't really want to think about it either. I want to enjoy Christmas with my family," I smiled to him. "Everyone is here and celebrating the new year. My mum is basically wearing a sweater that says I'm the best grandma when all her grandchildren are still in the womb," I laughed, Harry's hand going to my stomach at the mention of our baby. As soon as he did this, a flash went off and our eyes directed to the source; Michael.

"Mum got me a camera for Christmas," he shrugged before walking away. I giggled, resting my forehead against Harry's head.

Everyone began sitting down around us and my mom and Anne began to sort through the gifts. I slid in the spot beside Harry, his arm draped around my shoulders as I curled into him. I watched as Joseph and Lucas and their wives opened their gifts...all themed blue. I'm guessing they're having boys.

Anne handed Harry some gifts before shuffling away again. He handed it over to me allowing me to tear open the paper. Inside was a pacifier that was attached to a fuzzy lion. I smiled down at the small gift that wouldn't be put to use for months.

"And so it begins," Michael said next to me. "Baby gifts," he said, wiggling his fingers as he did some sort of jazz hands.

"It was to be expected," I said to him with an eye roll. Harry smiled as he took the gift from me to look at it. "Leave it in the box," I said to him.

"Yes, Your Highness," he said teasingly as he placed it on the arm of the sofa. I elbowed his side shaking my head with laughter.