Chapter Eight.

I  know  with  everything  I've  been  saying,  you  all  think  that  my  parents  never  loved  me.  Which,  by  the  way,  is  a  total  lie.  Don't  assume  so  fast,  okay?  Because  at  one  point  in  my  life,  I  had  a  perfect,  caring  family.  Of  course,  that  was  before  father  admitted  he  was  a  scandal  waiting  to  explode.  I  had  a  mother  who  baked  cookies  with  me  and  smiled  all  the  time.  A  father  who  gave  bear  hugs  and  could  play  guitar  around  the  campfire.  Time  changes  people.  For  better  or  worse;  it  won't  stop  for  you  and  never  takes  mercy.  Time  destroys  everything  good  in  it's  path,  leaving  total  destruction  behind.  Which  is  why  I  guess  I  wasn't  at  all  surprised  when  I  found  everything  in  tee-total  hell  when  I  returned  to  the  underground  house  I  was  held  in  before  hand.  If  you  stopped  and  admired  the  scene  from  afar,  you  could  see  the  beauty  of  time.  How  everything  gets  turned  upside  down  in  a  matter  of  one  second.  It's  something  you  never  forget.

Like  the  blood.  It  was  everywhere.  Every  square  inch  of  the  ground  for  yards  around  screamed  death.  You  couldn't  overlook  it.  I  closed  my  eyes  and  blocked  the  yelps  and  howling  out.  Ignoring  the  stabs  of  hurt  in  my  heart,  I  thought  of  my  pack.  Not  everybody  would  survive,  especially  with  how  unprepared  for  this  fight  they  were.  Opening  my  eyes  again,  I  saw  David  being  slammed  in  the  side  by  another  wolf.  A  second  later  another  came  to  his  rescue,  killing  his  attacker.  David  nodded  at  the  wolf  and  continued  on.  Growling,  I  let  my  wolf  take  over.  I  would  protect  my  pack;  they  are  the  only  ones  who  mattered  at  this  moment.

                                                                                          ~*~

Closing  my  jaws  around  the  last  unfamiliar  scented  wolf,  I  felt  his  life  slip  away.  He  was  a  beautiful  wolf;  a  warm  auburn  color  with  streaks  of  black  throughout  him.  He  was  young  too.  Too  young  to  die.  My  wolf  pushed  the  thoughts  away;  that  wolf  threatened  our  pack.  He  deserved  what  he  got.  I  dropped  the  body  and  looked  around,  taking  on  a  fighting  stance.  Wolves  surrounded  me.  Bright  colors  to  dull;  small  to  big;  curious  to  frightened.  There  were  so  many.  I  bared  my  canines  and  made  sure  no  one  else  was  coming  to  attack.  The  wolves  bowed  their  heads.  Licking  my  lips,  I  stood  in  the  middle  of  the  crowd  and  began  my  orders.

Get  back  home,  now.  Eyes  shifted  from  one  to  another.  And  thanks  you  guys.  You  did  great  today.

What  about  the  others?  I  recognized  Zala's  voice.  She  was  a  small  wolf,  just  like  her  human.  Her  blonde  hair  came  out  in  her  wolf  as  well.

Carry  them.

We  had  lost  seven  members  today.  Mostly  older  wolves,  but  still  someone  who  was  important  to  another.  One  was  Zala's  mother.  I  numbed  my  heart  and  body  by  tuning  out  the  words  I  knew  was  needed.

They  died  for  their  pack.  Tomorrow  we  will  honor  them  all.  Now,  get  up  and  move  on.

The  last  part  came  out  gruffer  than  what  I  ment  it  to.  I  felt  the  others  tension  around  me  as  I  realized  what  I  said.  They  had  hearts;  they  had  loved  these  people.  They  wouldn't  be  able  to  move  on  right  now.  They  were  mourning  I  figured  out  as  I  saw  tears  in  a  few  of  their  eyes.  I  glared  until  no  one  dared  to  look  at  me.  Trotting  into  the  forest,  I  left  my  pack  to  retrieve  their  loved  ones.  I  hate  this.  I  hate  being  alpha.