Chapter Five.

Fly  me  up  to  where  you  are...

                                                              Beyond  the  distant  star.

                                                               I  miss  you. <3

                                                                                      ~*~

I  had  a  real  brother  once.  He  never  had  a  name.  Never  had  the  chance  to  either.  On  a  sudden  alcohol  binge  at  the  beginning  of  the  bad  times,  mother  had  a  one  night  stand  with  some  human  man  to  get  back  at  her  unfaithful  mate.  That  was  when  she  still  had  a  backbone.  I  remember  mother  would  let  me  rub  her  tummy  and  I'd  talk  to  him.  Well,  through  her  stomach  anyways.  She  said  he  could  hear  me  and  I'd  always  believed  that.  Mother  got  pretty  big  too.  Her  stomach  stuck  out  and  none  of  her  clothes  fit  anymore.  Her  belly  button  stuck  out  even.  On  my  ninth  birthday,  just  a  couple  weeks  before  my  baby  brother  was  to  arrive,  that  man  who  put  the  baby  in  mother's  tummy  came  back.  Said  he  heard  about  her.  He  didn't  realize  as  he  walked  up  to  our  front  door  that  he  was  more  or  less  committing  suicide.  The  man  was  handsome.  Young  twenties,  blonde  hair,  kind  smile.  His  eyes  were  a  light  brown  and  I'd  instantly  liked  him.  Until  father  came  in  the  room  where  mother  stood  frozen.  An  argument  began  and  father  shifted.  I  watched  as  that  man  died  and  mother  still  just  stood  there,  petrified.  After  father  finished  his  rage  on  that  man,  he  turned  on  mother.  That  was  when  I  lost  my  baby  brother.  He  jumped  on  her  then  and  pounced  on  her  stomach.  I  screamed  then  but  it  was  too  late.  He  would  have  attacked  me  that  day  too,  if  David  hadn't  of  rescued  me.  He  came  running  after  he  heard  mother  screaming  also.  Father  went  running  off  when  David  fought  him.  He  was  always  a  bit  of  a  coward.

It  was  when  we  buried  the  baby,  that  I  realized  my  father's  intentions.  He  took  away  what  mother  and  I  had  loved  most  at  the  time.  But  what  he  didn't  realize  is  that  he  stole  mother  away  from  me  too.  He  walked  out  himself.  He  even  took  Skylar  that  day.  After  father  sent  the  baby  on  his  way  to  who  knows  where,  before  I  could  even  meet  him,  I  ran  to  Skylar.  I  cried  to  her  and  told  her  everything.  The  next  day  that  I  was  able  to  return  to  school  and  there  were  the  rumors.  Except,  all  of  the  rumors  were  true.  Alcoholic  mother.  Abusive  father.  Stolen  babies.  It  was  all  rubbed  in  my  face.  Even  the  teachers  looked  at  me  with  pity.  Then  I  saw  her.  Standing  on  the  other  side  of  the  playground  stood  Skylar  and  her  new  found  friends.  The  smug  smile  on  her  face  told  it  all.

I  didn't  mind  losing  them;  I  only  regretted  my  baby  brother.  I  was  so  excited  to  see  him.  We  buried  him  in  the  local  cemetary  with  all  the  others  who  never  got  to  see  the  world.  Which  is  where  I  found  myself  when  I  woke  up  today.  I  looked  around  and  realized  I  must  have  ran  here  in  wolf  form  last  night  unknowingly.  My  heart  cringed  as  I  softly  touched  the  tiny  headstone.