Chapter Six.

We  followed  the  scents  that  led  in  one  direction,  and  one  direction  only.  There  were  maybe  six  or  seven  rogues  and  from  eye  witness  accounts,  they  would  be  easy  to  take  down.  I,  for  one,  didn't  like  killing  rogues  off  the  top  in  case  maybe  they'd  want  to  finally  settle  down  and  find  peace  with  a  pack.  But  no.  These  testosterone  filled  male  alpha's  looked  at  everything  as  a  threat.  I  simply  went  through  with  the  wise  one's  commands  because  he  could  easily  send  out  orders  to  have  me  killed  and  every  pack  within  the  surrounding  states  would  be  jumping  all  at  once.  Sniffing  the  air,  the  scents  grew  stronger.  We  were  getting  close.

Another  five  minutes  passed,  each  of  us  on  high  alert.  Slowly  the  forest  became  denser  and  we  crouched  down  to  catch  a  glimpse  at  the  clearing  in  front  of  us.  Before  us  layed  a  once  well  built,  1800's  or  so  house  that  looked  like  it  was  crumbling  to  the  earth.  The  roof  was  sinking  in  on  one  side  and  a  tree  took  out  the  front  porch  from  a  storm  that  had  knocked  it  down.  Moss  covered  almost  every  inch  of  the  old  homestead.  But,  the  smells  were  so  fresh  and  so  strong.  There  had  to  be  rogues  here...  and  many  of  them.

 What  do  you  make  of  this,  Aurora?

Underground,  maybe?

They'd  have  to  take  time  to  do  that.  They'd  have  to  care.

A  pack  then?

That's  what  I'm  thinking.

I  glanced  at  our  two  partners.  They  seemed  to  be  thinking  the  same  thing.

David,  this  might  be  a  trap.

Why  would  rogues  form  a  pack?

Simple.  To  take  someone  they  all  highly  dislike  and  finish  them  off.

Why  don't  they  just  kill  them  without  going  through  all  this  trouble?

 The  person  could  be  powerful.

I  belly  crawled  closer  to  the  tree  line.  Suddenly,  a  blur  of  light  brown  fur  caught  my  vision  on  the  side  of  the  house.  It  was  a  wolf.  I  froze  and  watched  it.  The  wolf  seemingly  looked  around  and  then  disappeared  into  the  back  of  the  house.

We  should  go  get  the  others.

David  agreed  and  we  slowly  turned  around.  I  motioned  for  the  other  two  to  follow  us,  and  they  reluctantly  did  after  they  saw  what  I  did.  We  had  only  gotten  a  couple  steps  when  the  brown  wolf  from  before  stepped  out  of  the  trees,  snarling.  Instinctivley,  I  growled  back.  Slowly  he  was  surrounded  by  others,  and  soon,  we  were  horribly  outnumbered.  That  still  didn't  mean  I  was  going  out  without  a  fight.  We  continued  snarling  at  each  other.  Four  wolves  against  twenty  or  more.  Shit.

The  brown  wolf  lunged  at  me.  I  quickly  side  stepped  him  and  left  him  looking  confused,  but  then  he  came  back  stronger.  He  tried  again  and  as  I  was  spinning  around  to  avoid  him,  he  grabbed  my  front  left  paw  and  jerked  causing  my  wrist  to  almost  break.  I  whined  but  caught  him  by  the  shoulder  as  he  started  to  let  go.  I  was  satisfied  to  see  blood  start  oozing  out  of  his  wound.  Before  I  could  make  another  attack,  two  more  wolves  flanked  his  side.  The  black  one  lunged  at  the  same  time  as  the  red  one.  I  kicked  them  away  using  my  hind  legs  and  by  avoiding  their  teeth.  I  looked  around  for  David  or  the  other  two.  I  couldn't  see  them  in  the  pile  of  fur  that  was  flying  everywhere.  Before  I  knew  it,  I  was  surrounded.  All  of  the  rogues  prancing  around  me  with  devious  glints  in  their  eyes.  Then,  they  all  attacked.