Chapter 4

The next day, we were at another concert venue in Bucharest, Romania. Tomorrow, we would be off to Bulgaria. The excitement to see the rest of Europe was burning within me. I couldn't wait.

Everyone was off setting up the stage equipment, the tents and whatnot. Fans who had arrived early were being let in before show time. I walked around the venue and watched as the band techs from the three bands and the opening set up all of the equipment.

I was watching them intently, paying close attention. This was a good lesson for me to learn. I mean, it's not that I didn't know how to set everything up. That wasn't the case at all. It was just that the rest of my band and I had just gotten so used to people setting things up for us that we'd forgotten how.

To be honest, I still knew how to set up my microphone, the guitar and bass amps, and anything else that needed to be set up with. Although, it would have probably failed if I did. Things would have been broken or something.

Asking Alexandria had said it best. When you become a professional band, your forget how to do everything because you have people to do everything for you. You lose the experience because you let them do it for you. When you're in a professional band, you've got to let other people do it for you. You have too much to worry about.

Funny thing is, when we were off tour for the short time we were, we could set up everything correctly for band practice even with all of our band associates with us. They didn't help out or anything. We knew how to do everything just perfectly.

My theory was that when bands were on tour, the rush of performing and meeting fans was just too overwhelming and we couldn't think about anything but performing, having a good time, and meeting the fans. There were just so many fans coming to hang out and talk. We had to keep track of that days set list. We had to remember lyrics, all the notes, when to play, and just give a good show over all. It was a lot to think about. We didn't have time to worry about setting up our equipment.

Pulling out my phone from the pocket, I saw that it would still be at least two hours before people would be let into the gates. Deciding to go freshen up, I ran back to my bus and pulled out one of my suitcases from one of the compartments on the outside of the bus.

I dug through it and grabbed my bag of toiletries and a change of an outfit. Rushing to the bathroom, I threw my clothes and and took care of everything else.

I was now wearing a white broderie corset, a black studded vest, and torn dark blue denim shorts. With the outfit, I wore switchblade earrings, my usual black snake bite piercings, black jelly bracelets, my nerd glasses, and my black Vans. Once I was dressed, I began applying my makeup. I applied my false lashes on and darkened them a bit with some mascara. It also made it look a bit more natural. With the eyeshadow, I went for a smokey look.

( http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=34469140 )

In the end, when I looked into the mirror, I decided that I looked dashing. I was presentable and ready to sing my heart out tonight. I had finally written my own song. I was on the phone with James Vegas the other night and was listening to "Beauty Killed The Beast" in the background. After we hung up, I started writing a song. I didn't have a name for it yet.

I picked up my clothes and threw them onto my bunk in my room, which was across from the bathroom. I hopped off of the bus and ran around the venue in search of my band members. As I was running, I felt a hand brush up against my arm. I stopped in my tracks and turned around to see Jay looking at me with a pang of sadness lingering in his beautiful eyes.

Hurt flashed through my own before I quickly spun around, not saying a word. I couldn't get involved with him. Firstly, I wasn't ready. Secondly, I wasn't sure if I could. My feelings about him were all jumbled up and I was unsure about how I really felt towards him.

"Maybe I could give Jay a chance. It would help me free myself from Andy. It would help me to move on. But that would be using him for my own gain. I don't want to use him. I'm not like that. Besides, I do kind of like Jay. I could almost fall for him. If I give him a chance, what if I full-out fall for him? I might get hurt again. I'm not sure if my heart can withstand anymore heartbreak." My mind was currently everywhere. It was racing through all kinds of subjects right now. I didn't know what to think. It wasn't settle. Right now, I wanted nothing more than for my mind to be cleared with absolutely no thoughts at all. But I knew that wasn't going to be possible.

"Hey Heather!" Logan said. I lifted my head to see all of my band mates waving at me. I walked towards their direction and nodded in reply.

"What time are we playing today?" I questioned, wondering if any of them had bothered to keep track of the schedule. Or at least have had the decency and responsibility to check with someone.

"Er, I actually have no clue what time we're playing. All I know is that we're playing after Get Scared today," Liam replied, smiling sheepishly as he rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment.

I rolled my eyes and said sarcastically, "Thank you Liam for being such a fantastic and great help! I don't what I would ever do without you!"

Sometimes, I expected way too much from these boys. They could hardly remember where they left their boxers when so how could I expect them to remember something like this?

Shaking my head, I said, "Let's just go practice. I wrote a song last night."

The boys stared at me in shock as if they hadn't expected this.

"What?" I inquired, wondering why they were looking at me the way they were.

"You. Wrote. A. Song," Mason breathed, pausing after each word.

I nodded. "Yeah. Something wrong with that?"

Dean shook his head. "Not really. It's just that it's...different. Can we read the lyrics? You do have them on you, right? And I assume you wrote the guitar and bass line notes and the drum notes too?"

I nodded, handing them two folded sheets of paper, containing my lyrics on them. I gave Dean the drum sheet notes, Liam the rhythm guitar sheet notes, Mason the lead guitar sheet notes and Logan the bass sheet notes.

"Whatever I wrote in blue pen is going to be screamed. I want to practice this today. I want to play it tonight. We better hurry. We don't have a lot of time. Get your instruments and let's get going, okay?" I said, glancing at all of their faces.

They nodded in agreement, obviously excited. This was our first original song. Of course we were going to be ecstatic about it. 

We all rushed back to our bus and got our instruments. I had a music sheet stand and placed my sheet notes on them so I could read the lyrics. I wanted to make sure that I had them memorized. It would take only at least three times practicing this to memorize it.

After about an hour of a last-minute practice to learn my song, we had it memorized. Taking I deep breath, I asked them all, "You guys ready to perform this tonight? We can always hold it off until the Bulgaria concerts or later to get it perfect."

They all shook their head. Logan spoke up and said, "No. We're sure we got this."

I glared at them. "I sure hope so. If you mess up, I'll kill you guys. I swear I will."

Logan rolled his eyes. "Chill hoe. We got this."

Insider alert.

We all joke around with these little insult names. They call me hoe, slut, and bitch for fun while I call them morons, idiots, assholes, jackasses, imbeciles, retards, douchebags, and a hell lot more names. You get the picture, right? I'm assuming so.

Lightly, I punched Logan's arm and helped put the excess equipment away. Dean rolled his drum kit towards the stage while Logan, Mason, and Liam held their instruments. I had nothing to worry about seeing as the microphones were on the stage. I'd be just fine.

Just an hour left until the concert began. What were we going to do until then?

The boys left their instruments by the stage and left me to go hang out with the members of Vampires Everywhere. Luckily for me, Jay wasn't with them so I followed my band members.

I didn't make any conversation with anyone as I was getting lost within my own thoughts. Abruptly, I turned my head to the side when I felt someone poking my arm. I saw that it was just Michael.

"Can I speak to you? Alone? Away from here?" he asked.

"What? Trying to get a bit of my blood?" I teased.

Smirking, he said, "As tasteful as that sounds, I'm afraid I've got to refuse that offer. I actually want to talk to you."

I nodded. "Alright then."

I followed Michael until he stopped walking. I awaited for him to speak.

"He likes you a lot considering we all just met," Michael said.

I flinched, knowing automatically who he was talking about. No names needed to be mentioned.

"I can kind of tell. But Michael, I'm not ready for any kind of relationship right now. I'm also confused about how I feel towards him. Plus, I'm afraid to love again. Two times was enough. Three times crossed the line and broke me. I don't know if I could handle a fourth try. I'm still trying to get over...Andy. It hasn't been that long anyways," I said.

Michael looked at me with sympathy in his eyes. "I saw that live broadcast of 'What's Hot Rock Media' that one night. I'm sorry about everything Heather. Don't rush yourself."

I nodded. "I know. I just need some time to think. I'm still extremely confused about my feelings. I don't want to fall for him. I'm afraid I will. He's just the type of person I could almost fall for. If I do, I'm afraid of what would happen. We're not going to see each other for a while after this tour."

"If you do end up dating, the rest of the guys and I will kick his ass for you if he so much as looks at another girl the way he should be looking at you. Then we'll call you and tell you that we've killed him. Of course, not literally. But you get me, right?" Michael said, smiling.

A weak smile rested on my face. "Yeah. I do. Thank you Michael. But rest assure, we won't be dating any time soon. But I definitely do like him a bit. Don't tell him that, okay?"

Michael flashed me a devious grin making me wonder whether or not he'd really keep it a secret. If it got out to Jay, I would kill him. The proper way a vampire should die. I'd break one of the metal microphone stands and somehow sharpen it to make a stake.

When I narrowed my eyes at him, he laughed and said, "I know what you're thinking. I won't tell him. I promise."

"You better keep that promise or else there's going to be a vampire corpse somewhere around these grounds or sometime during this tour," I hissed.

"Gee, you're scary," Michael said.

Scoffing, I said, "Damn straight I am. Wait. Not even. I'm terrifying."

Rolling his eyes, Michael replied, "If you say so."

The sudden outbursts of cheering and screaming made me turn my head to see what was going on. I saw a bunch of people hurrying towards the stage as an attempt to get a good spot. For fucks sake. Because of the screaming, I thought someone was getting raped or murdered or something along those lines.

In just a few minutes after the opening band had ended their performance, Get Scared was up on stage and beginning to perform. As of right now, I was thinking about tonight's performance for my band. It was going to be special. It was going to be amazing. To be completely honest, I was terrified. I had finally written my own song. I was scared of what others would think.

What if it wasn't good enough?

What if no one liked it?

What if we messed up tonight just because we were performing completely new material?

There were so many questions that were flying through my mind. It was nearly unbearable. I was thinking about so many things at once. Worrying, really. I was worrying about the possible events.

"Heather, you have nothing to fear. Your fans love you and they'll love the song. Be confident. Just keep your chill. Stay calm. Take deep breaths. Recite the lyrics a few more times again. You'll be just fine," I thought as an attempt to clear my mind.

Luckily, it worked. I felt a little bit better now that I was slightly reassured. We were all going to be ready and prepared for anything.

Thirty minutes later, Get Scared was off stage and Rebels Of The Century was called on.

Looking at each of my band members, I said, "Are you guys ready? We can always remove my song from the set list. I'll save that for last."

Dean shook his head. "We're going to do just fine Heather. Don't worry. Saving it for last is a good idea though. It'd be a good finale surprise for our performance."

Sighing, I nodded in agreement. "Alright. We'll play it. Only because you guys are all so confident that it's going to go well."

"We're confident that it's going to go well because we believe in ourselves. Most of all, we believe in you. We're going to do amazingly," Mason said.

I smiled. Hearing those words from his mouth made me realized how much all of us have bonded and grown closer during the years we've been together as a band. We've matured a great deal. These guys were practically my family. I don't know what I would ever do without them. They were just amazing.

"Thank you Mason." Reassurance flooded through me, causing me to constantly smile. I couldn't stop smiling. I was now pumped. If we did end up messing up, it's not like the crowd would know. This was a completely unreleased and unofficial song seeing as I wrote it just yesterday and worked on it today. We'd get it as an EP album. I wasn't sure if I could write another song or not. It was just kind of difficult to write that song.

"Let's do this," I breathed, walking onto stage. "How are you all doing Bucharest?"

As a reply, people cheered. I smiled and spoke again. "The first song we're going to perform for you is 'Mirrors' by My Satellite!"

(Go watch/listen to it on YouTube!)

"No sound bending air.
I breathe alone now and wondering will it always be like this?
There’s something in the air,
Now I think I’m scared.

Save me from the monsters under bed.
Save me from a dusty head.
It seems I need someone here to mend
And save me from a bitter end.

Want to taste the moon.
I lack transportation.
So is this how I will die
A fading pulse at hand, no one by my side.

Save me from the monsters under bed.
Save me from a dusty head.
It seems I need someone here to mend
And save me from a bitter end.

Without a shoulder to hold when I’m older.
No one to take my hand.
Am I less a man?
Ashes and pictures of dreamers and lovers.

Was it happiness?
Did I give up the key to all of this.
Reflect at last.
Regret I can’t get past.

Save me…

Save me from the monsters under bed.
Save me from a dusty head.
It seems I need someone her to mend
And save me from a bitter end.

Save me from the monsters under bed.
Save me from a dusty head.
It seems I need someone her to mend
And save me from a bitter end."

The rest of our set list consisted of the following songs.

Setting Up Sunday - Meg & Dia (Heather)
The Guillotine (1) - Escape The Fate (Heather)
Through The Night - Consider Me Dead (Heather)
Let Love Bleed Red - Sleeping With Sirens (Heather and Liam)
Karma - Parkway Drive (Liam)
Take One Last Breath - Abandon All Ships (Heather and Liam)

The last song that we were going to play that concert was my original. Looking back at my band members, I saw that they were nodding. I turned around to the crowd and said, "Last night, I was in this creative mood. So guess what I did? I wrote a song. We're going to perform it for you tonight. It's usually beyond difficult for me to write a song. In fact, it was hard. But all the same, it was easier. Why? Well, I was talking to James Vegas on the phone last night and listening to his band's song 'Beauty Killed The Beast' again in the background. I was a bit inspired. So James Vegas, this is dedicated to you. As of now, this song has no title."

(A/N: Once again, the lyrics in bold are screamed. Please be respectful of these lyrics. They ARE MY OWN. I actually wrote them yesterday afternoon, 7/23/11. They're not done. I don't have much but it's a good start. Modern Day Escape and that song was really what got me to writing it. I was listening to their music at the time. I switched bands and got NO vibe at all. Modern Day Escape is magic.)

As my band mates began playing their instruments, I felt a bit nervous. Building up my courage and shoving the nervousness away, I began to sing.

"We are all drowning in,
A pool of our biggest fears,
So gather 'round and listen here.
Don't be afraid to do what you want,
In life, we've only got one chance,
Have no fears and enjoy life while it lasts.

Risk it all,
No second lives.
No room for regrets,
Leave the past behind...."

The rest of the song went really well. We did fantastic    just as my band mates said we would. The crowd loved the song so I was glad. When we got off the stage, people began congratulating me and Get Scared and Vampires Everywhere cheered us on as well.

Blushing, I said, "Thanks you guys."

I was proud of the song. The message of the song was to let yourself live your life the way that you wanted to and not hold back on anything. We only had once chance in life to do everything that we want. There's no time and or room for regrets. We've got to be willing to face the risks in order to enjoy our lives. Rebellion is the key.

Logan hit me on my back playfully. "I told you we would do amazing with that song. We kicked ass."

I smiled. "Yeah. You were right. Just because you were right for once, it doesn't mean I'll believe in you in the future."

"Harsh," Dean said.

I grinned. "I'm just kidding. But we did do great tonight."

We celebrated a little bit about our first original song and chilled with some fans when they came over to talk. A select few knew English so it was pretty cool.

Tonight was a great night. Nothing could ruin my mood. Nothing at all.