Family Day - Part 2

"H-How do you know?" I ask, shakily. If there was any time for him to snap on me, it would be now.

"You know, my father always had this... Ability to be able to tell whenever my Mother was pregnant. I saw it in action. Way before she was showing. He could just feel it. It was amazing. Fortunately for me, I didn't have to be blessed with such gifts, because you aren't great at hiding it." He explains, taking his shoes off.

"Was I really that obvious?" I ask, hoping I wasn't.

He takes off his blazer and lays in the bed.

"Michael?" I try.

"Darling, I'm tired. I don't want to talk about this right now. Let me rest." He says, aggravation in his voice.

"I... I'm sorry I didn't tell you." I whisper.

He turns off the lamp by our bed and turns around in bed, his back to me. I sigh and take off my shoes. I guess we aren't talking about it right now. I lay in the bed, taking my hair out of its ponytail and putting the ponytail holder on my wrist. I look at my wedding ring, glistening in the moonlight. I wonder why I never got rid of it. I wasn't going to give it back to him, but I never thought about pawning it or anything. I guess it mattered to me. Even if I knew our marriage was over, this was a symbol of my own commitment and sacrifice and I was content knowing that I took this marriage seriously and that I tried my hardest to keep it stable. I twirl it around my finger and turn my head over to look at Michael. I wonder what he is thinking. How did he find out? How long has he known?

~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to pleasant singing. I rub my eyes and sit up. It's still dark in the room. I see Michael's silhouette pacing the floor, singing a tune, with a tape recorder up to his mouth. I figure he couldn't sleep. He says he was tired, i knew that wasn't true. His beautiful voice fills the room as he is pacing back and forth. He stops singing for a moment to write something down at his desk. He writes quickly, bending over, mouthing the words as he is writing. He stops writing and drops his pen, tossing his tape recorder from his right hand to his left. He walks over to the window and pulls the curtains open, revealing a bright morning sun. The curtains really do a great job of blocking out the sun. I cover my eyes, the sun is burning, reminding me of my childhood when my grandparents used to wake me up on the weekends to clean the house.

"Rebbie has breakfast prepared downstairs. I suggest you get some now if you're hungry." Michael says, looking out of the window.

"Do you wanna talk about this after breakfast?" I ask, my voice a little raspy from just waking up.

"No." He says simply.

I toussle my hair and get out of bed, grabbing my clothes and taking them into the bathroom so I can shower. I'm not gonna mess with him about this. We're not married and whenever he decides he wants to talk about it, we will talk about it. I was wrong for keeping it from him. After my shower, I put on a peach sundress and let my hair hang down. When I come out of the bathroom to put my clothes away, Michael is still pacing the room, singing a song. I put my clothes back in my suitcase and put my vanilla lotion all over my body. I glance over at Michael and I noticed while he is rubbing his lips with his left hand that he is also wearing his wedding band. For some reason, that makes me happy even though he isn't talking to me right now. I make my way down into the kitchen and everyone looks at me. This is just slightly awkward without Michael or Janet. Katherine comes over to me and grabs my hand.

"Don't pay them no mind honey. They are protective of Michael. Where is he? I know he isn't asleep." She says, walking me over to the breakfast food.

"He is singing. And writing." I say, my mouth watering because of all of the food.

"My boy. So did you tell him you're pregnant?" She asks, fixing me a plate.