Chapter 9

After walking out of the tattoo shop, I realized no one seemed to know where I was. There wasn't any crazed girl asking to rub my stomach like I was the Messiah, or some crazed girl trashing to smash my stomach. Paparazzi didn't crowd me and ask me questions, like whether or not my pregnancy was fake. It was just me, myself and I. I got an Uber and went to McDonalds, something I often craved.

I walked inside and the paparazzi seemed to have found me somehow. The uber driver probably gave it away. After getting my food I dialed Ashley on my phone and asked if she could come pick me up since I obviously couldn't trust anyone.

After walking out of the fast food restaurant I made my way to Ashley's car and sat inside.

"This is crazy, it can't be safe." Ashley said as she drove the car.

"This is how I live now. I'm never going to be 'safe' again. But it's not about me. It's about my child, all I have to do is keep her safe. I don't care who follows me, as long as I'm alive and well enough to take care of this baby, I'm ok.

"That's exactly what I mean, look at what happened in our old house. Are you really going to be alive and well for this kid?" Ashley asked as she drove.

"I will. Even if it's the last thing I do." I reassured her from the passenger's seat. Once we got to a stop light I showed Ashley my wrist.

"What-- Oh my gosh!" Ashley yelled looking at my wrist. She stared at the red 'A' that was enbedded onto my skin. She stared moving my wrist so she could see it at different angles.

"Who's it for, me? A for Ashley?" Ashley asked with a smile.

"Actually no, it's for me. Well- Hester Prynne-"

"Who?" Ashley asked while staring at my wrist.

"Green light!" I yelled as honks from car horns sounded. Ashley quickly dropped my wrist and pressed on the gas, she nervously navigated the car and kept her widened eyes on the road.

"Who's Bester Bynne?" Ashley asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Hester Prynne, and if you remember anything from your sophomore year of high school you would remember she is the girl from the scarlet letter." I explained with a pointed finger.

"Do you know how long ago that was? I didn't even read the book I just got the answers off of Spark Notes. Who is she?" Ashley asked.

"She is a woman from colonial Boston times who was a Puritan. She had sex although she was married with another man, a minister. In her defense she thought her husband was dead but anyway she still was sort of wrong because she didn't marry that minister-- Anyway! She ended up getting pregnant and being treated horribly and was forced to wear a large red A on her clothing, A for adulterer not Ashley. And since people are driving me crazy for sleeping with a guy I wasn't married to and having an accidental pregnancy I feel like me and Hester have a lot in common..." I explained.

"So you get a tattoo that will last you forever while pregnant. Great." Ashley nodded with sarcasm. "Pregnant women aren't even supposed to get tattoos!"

"This memory will last me forever. Ash, I don't know if you realize but this baby drama is not going away. Never. So-- I might as well proudly hold my slutty reputation." I said with a smile. Ashley glimpsed at me as she drove.

"You're a psycho." She simply said.

"I'm a proud psycho. And if these girls want to play hard, I'll play hard." I smiled and Ashley and I finally got to our gated community. We were let inside and in our drive way a white convertible was parked. We parked next to it and Harry leaned on it with his arms crossed.