Chapter 12: Sharing

Unfortunately for Eliska, Tariq followed her into the kitchen. She did her best to ignore him and his burning stare as she put the fish in the cool box and cleaned out her basket. When she glanced out the kitchen window and noticed the colour of the sunlight, she sighed, and retrieved her fish. She might as well get dinner started.

Setting about cleaning, cutting, and descaling the fish, Eliska could only ignore Tariq's gaze for so long. "Do you have to watch me?"

He shrugged, leaning himself against one wall. "I was just thinking you move well. Gracefully, but with a bit of predator about you. Like a really fierce alley cat."

She choked and glared at him. She'd never been compared to a cat before, and definitely not one that lived on the street! He only smiled, eyes dancing as he continued to watch her every movement. Eliska sniffed and returned her attention to cutting up the fish.

"Do you want to start sharing information now, since we're both here and I can't give away anything?"

Eliska glanced at him, eyeing his face. He seemed sincere and he at least had wiped the mocking smile off his face. "Fine."

"Ladies first."

She rolled her eyes but didn't argue. It wasn't as if it mattered. "I was sent to check out the rumours of slavers taking our people," she said, moving around the kitchen as she gathered the rest of the ingredients she needed. She didn't mention her second mission, not with the way he'd reacted to magic so far. Not to mention it wouldn't involve him when his focus was on the slavers. "There have been too many disappearances, and once we find the people responsible, I, or someone else, will take care of them in such a way that will...discourage others from following their path."

"And the people taken?"

"We'll release them if we find them."

Tariq nodded, shoulders relaxing. "What have you found out so far?"

"Not as much as I'd have liked to. Several people have disappeared, but not all of them are of the age slavers would go for. I expect the odd disappearance, but there have been far too many in such a short period of time. Most I think are the work of these slavers. I've been keeping my ears open to any whispers about more underground slave auctions, I know at least one has to be operating from what I've heard, but I haven't been able to discover when or where yet.

No one has been talking about local slaves, or anything beyond people disappearing in general. I haven't heard about anyone recently coming into a lot of money, so I'm betting whoever this group is, they aren't from this area. Also because our local lot aren't stupid enough to do this. They know what happens to any group we catch enslaving our people.

I also think some of the guards are being bribed and are somehow involved. The way people are talking means they have to be aware and someone must have been assigned to look into things. But the lack of progress makes me think either the people in charge of the investigation or those above them are being paid to ignore things, the reports I've gotten haven't been at all helpful and I know our guards aren't that incompetent."

Tariq nodded slowly. "Like I said before, I was hired to find a man's son who was supposedly taken by the slavers. Since they didn't ask for a ransom, which I expected since people in the slave trade rarely go for children unless they've been hired specifically for...special merchandise as they say," he said, voice harsh on the word merchandise. "I've had to agree that slavers are likely responsible. And I also think it's foreigners. Are people aren't stupid enough and they won't take slaves they can't sell.

I hadn't thought about the guards being involved at all and that makes things very interesting. I can tell you there haven't been any underground slave auctions planned for the next little while. There was one a few weeks ago, but none of the missing people appeared in it. I have my sources that will let me know if another crops up.

Most of the information I've received points to the palace. Someone in there is connected to this. People have seen the same few servants and slaves coming and going from the palace to places they have no right to be, all of them close-tongued when questioned and acting like they're afraid. That's what got me thinking that the Sultan and his family have to be involved. They're the only ones who wield that kind of power."

Eliska snorted. "It's not them. And if you knew anything of the palace, you'd know there are a number of people with power that could be used on others, especially those most people ignore."

"Do your masters know they have such a loyal dog?"

"I serve because it is my duty, honour, and choice. My work might not be what you would choose, but it is mine, and something I take pride in. And if I didn't trust the Sultan, I can assure you, I wouldn't be willing to risk my life for him."

Tariq held her fierce gaze for a few moments before he looked away, shrugging. "I haven't heard of any ships slipping out except those who have reasons that everyone knows, so it doesn't look like anyone's hiding slaves to export. And since no one's buying them locally, I honestly have no idea where these people are being taken."

"Could be overland," Eliska said as she quickly sliced up vegetables. "There are caravans that run the spice route that could be taking people. It could make sense in a way, help while they're heavy with spice, extra merchandise once they're in other countries."

"That's something to look into. Any plans for tomorrow?"

"I was going to visit the hamam tonight," she said, with the slightest of emphasis to let him know she still wasn't enthused about the changes she'd been forced to make thanks to him. "But I can go tomorrow. I was going to see what gossip the women had. I may visit more than one, depending on what I hear."

Tariq nodded. "That's a good idea. I was planning on visiting a few coffee shops, but visiting a hamam or two on the way back ought to be useful as well."

Eliska offered him a bit of a smile, glad he was going to two of the places she couldn't get into. Coffee shops rarely allowed women in, and never unescorted, and obviously she wouldn't be allowed in the men's side of the hamam. Depending on what he came back with, she thought she might suggest he visit the brothels as well. That was one of the other places she'd avoided since the only way she was getting in...

She mentally shook herself as Tariq returned her smile. Maybe, just maybe, this alliance would bear fruit after all.