Chapter 51: Reporting

"...and then Lizina arrived and we organized some of the other shadows to start clean-up." Eliska finished her report with her hands clasped behind her back, trying to ignore the sweat. With the sun just rising, a quick bath and a change of clothes, she was feeling better though all she really wanted to do was collapse into her bed.

It didn't help she was under both Lizina and Mother Zorana's combined gazes. Only Ajani's face wasn't set as if in stone, offering her the occasional encouraging smile. Eliska didn't dare glance beside her where Tariq stood. He hadn't hid his surprise at being brought before the Valide Sultana nearly as well as he thought. Not when Zorana had some of the sharpest eyes in the harem.

The two older women exchanged a brief glance before Lizina cleared her throat. "After having gone through some papers and having...talked to some people, we've gotten a better picture of just what Sirhan had been up to."

"He was working with a Captain Hatim of the guards, creating a system for taking bribes in return for 'protection'. Some of the names you gave us," she nodded at Eliska. "Led us to some of the others. We're still trying to pull apart all the threads of their organization, but it's going to take time and additional work from other shadows."

"We also found he had a small network of his own informants in the city, set up much the way he was using some of the scribes. They all believed they were helping K-the Sultan. Some of the names we recognize, prominent merchants and the like, but some we don't. Not yet at least. Did he mention Zarif, Thana, Habiba, or Behram? They appear to be some of his oldest associates."

Tariq shook his head and Eliska did the same after a moment. She thought one of those names was familiar, but couldn't remember why at the moment. Maybe after some sleep. She'd never done such extensive spellcasting before and her body was reminding her of that fact, painfully. She stifled a yawn.

Lizina nodded. "Then that's all we need from you. Do either of you have any questions?"

"I have a question."

Eliska swallowed a wince at Tariq's tone. She had a pretty good idea of what he was about to ask, and she could only hope that they had enough good favour for taking out the blood mage that Lizina wouldn't kill him on the spot for it. Eliska knew there was no point trying to stop him, and if she was honest, she'd admit she wanted to know the truth of the matter as well.

Grimacing, Lizina crossed her arms over her chest and leaned back in her chair. "You've earned the right to ask a few questions."

Tariq's gaze was hard. "Then I want the truth about what happened with Lord Zakki."

Eliska's sister glowered and drew herself up in her chair. But Zorana spoke first, silencing Lizina. "It's not a pretty story or one we like to discuss. We did what was necessary to protect the country."

"How could what have happened have been necessary?" His voice was rough as Tariq took half a step forward.

Zorana fixed him with one of her icy looks, the kind that had always gotten misbehaving children in the harem to freeze on the spot. "If you will give me the chance, I will explain. If you would prefer to throw a tantrum, I will treat you like one and have your backside tanned."

When he said nothing for several seconds, Zorana gave a half nod. "Good. As for what happened with Lord Zakki, it was an unfortunate necessity. The man who caused his ruin was someone we were using to gather information on one of the ambassadors. Or rather, he was posing as an ambassador, but in reality, he was operating as a spy and saboteur. He'd arranged a scandal in court to divide our people and to distract attention. Without Sarsour, we never would have found out about the ambassador's plot to set up a combination of explosives and magic within the palace right before his country attacked ours. The war would have been ruinous and many of our people would have died. Of course, once we were certain Sarsour was of no more use to us, we had him removed for what he had done."

Tariq stood there and stared, jaw slack. It took a few moments before he regained enough of himself to even move his mouth. It took a few more before he could speak. "So the sultan knew about this the whole time, and just let Lord Zakki be ruined? To prevent a potential war?"

"No. Kasimer knew nothing of it. It was the decision of Lizina and myself that we not let him know and that we keep it from him. He would have worried and fretted about what had to be done, to the possible point of sickness. He can be too soft-hearted at times. You do have my apologies for what occurred and the suffering it caused you. We've done our best to do right by Zakki's widow and children, to make up for what happened."

No one said anything as Tariq bowed his head, hands opening and closing slowly. Eliska risked a glance at Lizina and Zorana, finding both women watching Tariq like cats at a mouse hole. She swallowed hard but didn't say anything.

He finally looked up, jaw tight. "Do you always act like this? Throwing people's lives away without hesitation?"

Lizina snorted. "Boy, you know nothing about what this family has sacrificed to keep our country and its people safe and at peace. What we will sacrifice in the future. We make the hard decisions, the decisions that must be made. Sometimes innocents must suffer and evil go free so that the greater good is served. Sometimes life isn't fair. But we weight the lives of a few people light compared to the thousands we can save."

"If you have any intention of continuing to work within the framework of the shadows, you'll need to understand what Lizina has said." Zorana's gaze didn't waver under Tariq's glare. "You have a useful skillset and have proven yourself steady during this. We may not have wished your involvement, but none of us can deny that your help made a difference. We would have you continue with us, in a more formal role."

Tariq crossed his arms over his chest. "And if I refuse, you'll what, have me killed?"

Eliska really wanted to kick him. She couldn't believe that Lizina and Zorana were offering to make him a proper shadow and he was poking them with a stick, acting like they'd just served him horse leavings. They might really kill him for his disrespect.

"No. You've served well, so we'll simply take your memories of the time you've been involved with us and release you back into the city. This will never have happened and you won't be involved with us ever again."

Tariq opened his mouth then closed it. He looked at Eliska, his eyes searching her face before settling on her gaze. He sighed and let his arms drop back to his sides. "What do I need to do to be one of your shadows?"