Chapter 31: Investigating

The heavily embroidered silk of her kaftan shushed around her as Eliska glided along the far wall. All around her were people talking, drinking, or eating, their noise nearly a match for the five singers at the other end of the hall. Glancing briefly up at the arched ceilings and the elaborate mouldings covered in gold leaf that adorned them, Eliska turned her attention back to the people she slowly slid by.

Her older brothers and sisters and those of her nieces and nephews considered to be old enough were present, while several of the higher officials joined them with their wives. Lizina had been captured by her husband and an old friend of his, and with Mother Zorana focused on Kasimer and the ambassadors that had been invited, Eliska found herself gloriously free of watching eyes. Which finally gave her a chance to look into something that had been nagging her for a while.

Her eyes lit on one of the older women who sat on one of the upholstered benches that had been pushed to the edges of the room. More than a few were occupied, often by the older attendees, some even accompanied by attendants with fan. The woman Eliska had her eye on was alone, her seat half-hidden by a column.

Eliska slowed her steps as she reached the unfamiliar woman and offered her a smile when their eyes met. The stranger blinked then smiled hesitantly back. Eliska nodded towards the bench. "May I join you?"

"O-of course."

Settling herself down carefully, her glass of orange sharbet adding a soft scent she found gave her extra courage, Eliska decided to go through with her original plan. "I do hope I'm not disturbing you."

"Oh, not at all! I mostly just sit at the back for these kinds of events. My husband enjoys them." Here the woman nodded at the bearded man talking animatedly with Israr. "But I've never been much one for crowds, especially mixed ones."

Eliska smiled. "I can understand. I don't get to leave the harem often, so it can feel overwhelming."

Her companion bobbed her head. "And the awful gossip I hear that others bandy about as if they have a right to know..."

Noting the delicate shudder, Eliska knew she'd have to move gently. "I much prefer discussions on music myself. The last gossip I paid any attention to was Lord Zakki, the poor man."

The woman frowned for a moment, then her face creased. "Poor man indeed. Such a shame. I had almost forgotten about that business, what with the rest of the unpleasantness."

Eliska let a look of confusion cross her face, the expression only half fake. "I hadn't heard of anything other than Lord Zakki's unfortunate death. But as I said, I've never paid too much attention to gossip."

"Nor do I, but I'm surprised. The talk was very hard to ignore. One of our own nobles being paid to pass information to that dreadful ambassador, and then to find out both of them had arranged that whole scandal with the Maram girl that had gotten everyone into a bother... Well, it was distasteful business all around."

The name Maram triggered with something in Eliska's memories. Something about the girl being a pawn in a plot to divide the court so as to weaken Kasimer, and eventually the country as a whole. It had been back when she was still in Shadow School. She hid a frown. She'd poke into that to see where it led, but she didn't really think it connected with Zakki.

"I imagine. Still, it's in the past. How have you been enjoying the singers? I think they're especially fine this year."

The woman smiled. "They are quite good. Not as good as the soloist who was here before them though. That man gave me goosebumps. He sang with such feeling and melody."

"Indeed. I heard there was supposed to be a shadow-play later on as well, which should be lovely." Keeping the conversation light, Eliska hoped that the stranger would soon forget the earlier topics and would only remember her vaguely, as the nice young woman who spoke to her about the arts.

Twenty minutes later and with her empty glass as an excuse, Eliksa finally extricated herself from her conversation. She thought she'd covered her tracks well enough, and that Lizina wouldn't hear about her inquiries. She knew exactly what her sister would do if she found out Eliska had disobeyed her.

She wandered slowly towards one of the small tables filled with glasses, and exchanged her empty one for one of a rosewater sharbet this time. She'd have preferred another orange, but the only fruit one at that table was mango, and Eliska hated mango.

Drink in hand and not daring to push her luck further by making any more inquiries at this event, the delicious smell of cooked lamb drew her to one of the food tables. Two skewers of meat covered in a tangy yogurt sauce later, and Eliska found herself alone and without direction. She kept her ears open out of habit, but with the crowd that was gathered here for this kind of celebration, she doubted she'd find out anything useful.

A low voice combined with heated words had Eliska drifting towards their owner, eyes on the dancers that had set-up on the platform that had recently held the singers. "...gone on long enough! You can't keep bringing in those types of people. Being soft on them is one thing, this is a complete other! This kind of event is meant for those of a certain class, and they aren't of that standing."

Eliska frowned, wondering what had Khaliq hot under the collar. He was always so stiff and proper the few times she'd seen him. But she was also the first to admit she'd maybe said two words to him ever.

A soft chuckle preceded Sirhan's words. "Relax. I didn't invite them. They're probably trying to sneak a peek of the festivities. And where's the harm? I did the same thing when I was in their position."

"Not enforcing boundaries is how things get out of control. They need to remember their place and stay in it until they advance. You may find it amusing, but others don't. If you're not careful, this kind of thing could hold you back. Israr is only getting older, and one day, it will be between the two of us. I would have that be a fair fight."

"As would I, old friend, as would I. I appreciate your concern, really I do. I just feel bad to spoil their fun. But if you feel like I should chase them away, then chase them away I shall."

Eliska risked a glance at the Vizier's two assistants, catching sight of Khaliq relaxing as Sirhan offered him an apologetic smile. She moved away then, glad to see things had been resolved without difficulty. She idly wondered who it was Sirhan was chasing off, but didn't bother moving so she could see. It didn't really concern her. Not when she could see Soyala waving at her from across the room.

With a smile for her niece, she slowly wound her way across the room.