Chapter 20: The Palace

Their plan worked well, their neighbours accepting the story of Tariq's sick father without any more than the faintest of frowns. Then again, that might have had more to do with their earlier "mistake" with regards to Tariq rather than them being convincing enough. Though Eliska thought they'd both acted their parts well.

Settled beside Tariq on their low wooden cart pulled by a single chestnut dray horse, Eliska kept a close eye on everything they passed. So far she hadn't seen anyone familiar or any sign of them being followed, but checking was second nature to her. Especially since they were trying to preserve their identities in case they needed them.

Only the two packs in the back beside the sand-weighted boxes and barrels contained anything of theirs, and that mostly clothing. Neither of them was stupid enough to bring anything personal on a job. At least, Eliska didn't think Tariq was stupid enough to do that. She didn't really know what was in his bag.

Tariq turned their horse down a narrow alley that ran behind some houses, their high walls keeping anyone from seeing them as they headed towards the small stable at the end. He brought them to a stop in the stable's tiny yard, the whole place looking deserted, with only the soft nickering of horses giving any indication of life.

Eliska jumped down and grabbed her pack, Tariq following suit. "The people here will take care of the rest," he said, grabbing his own bag. "If we need them again, I have a long-standing arrangement with them."

She nodded. "Thanks. Is this the best place to get into contact with you?"

Tariq frowned. "Do you mean if we get separated?"

"No, I'm heading back to the palace."

His eyes narrowed. "I assumed. I'm going with you."

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am."

She glared. "I'm going to the palace. This isn't somewhere you can just bluff your way into. It's not somewhere you can just wander around without raising immediate suspicion if you can even get by the guards. I live there, but you don't have any kind of identity or anything set up. You'll be stuck at the gate."

"You act like I've never made up an identity as I go before. I've gotten myself in anywhere I've needed to be before this. You and the rest of your spy group could always help. We are sharing information and helping each other, after all."

"No, you're not coming to the palace," she replied with a bit of force, crossing her arms over her chest. Lizina wouldn't like it, it was too big of a risk for the rest of the shadows, and Tariq was already far too interested in her. If he found out who she was...

"Well, then," he said, eyebrows up at her tone, a dangerous glitter in his gaze. "If you want to do this the hard way, fine. If you don't help me get into the palace, I'll get in myself and dedicate part of my time to coming to find you wherever you are, and getting involved in your business. I'll also pass word among my business associates that they shouldn't work with you. I can do that without revealing any of your secrets, so you little spell shouldn't be a problem. After all, I treasure business relationships."

Her mouth worked for several seconds. Tariq would...her hands clenched into fists as she took a step closer, glaring. He only grinned at her. He was the most insufferable man, so cocky and far too clever for his good or hers! He had her and she knew it. Worse, he knew it.

She whirled away from him. "Fine," she snapped, not trusting herself not to hit him if she had to look at his smug face. "But you're going to regret it."

"I doubt it," he said, falling into step beside her. "It'll be interesting to see where you live. I don't suppose you'll be hiding me in your room, or anything? Because I wouldn't be at all opposed to that."