Chapter 30: Preparations

Surrounded by Fahim, Dastgir, Halif, and Jalis, Tariq kept his pace lazy as they strolled through the darkened gardens near their quarters, the air pleasant after the heat of the day. Tariq took extra care to keep his evening walk well away from where Liss was undoubtedly waiting for him. The pleasant expression he'd arranged his features into flickered occasionally, but he thought he was doing well at hiding his annoyance.

He refocused on the conversation around him in time to hear Jalis say, "...just two days we'll have the Day of the Sultan to look forward to. I heard from one of the dishwashers that they've bought some of the finest coffee and sweetest lokum, not to mention they've started baking honey layers by the sheet."

"And we all know where the leftovers will go," Fahim replied, a wicked smile on his lips.

Halif bobbed his head excitedly. "It'll be nice to have a break."

"If we're really lucky, and we're allowed near the court ceremony, we might even have a chance to see some of the harem ladies. It's one of the few times they all come out of their section." Under Dastgir's frown, Jalis held up his hands. "I'm not saying I'm foolish enough to try to talk to one, I just wouldn't mind catching a glimpse. You know what the rumours say. All the most beautiful women from our country and the surroundings, all in one place. Who wouldn't want to take a look?"

Tariq had to admit that had his curiosity piqued. Certainly he hadn't been overly impressed with the dancers the other scribes had drooled over previously, but the forbidden women kept in the harem... There might be one there that could even ensnare him.

Liss's face immediately flashed into his mind and he hid a grimace. He wasn't ensnared by her, just...interested. She was a fascinating woman and one deserving of respect. The sheltered creatures of the harem couldn't possibly have even a sliver of her deadly grace and whip-like mind, though they certainly might be more beautiful. Not that Liss wasn't striking. Still, a girl with a fairer face would just seem like glass next to the diamond that was all of Liss.

"Would you do it?" Fahim asked, breaking through Tariq's thoughts.

He blinked as he inwardly cursed himself. He offered a helpless shrug. "I don't know. It's hard to decide."

Jalis rolled his eyes. "What's there to decide? If I knew I could get away with it, I would sneak into the harem."

"That's impossible," Dastgir retorted, crossing his arms over his chest.

"I know. And there wouldn't be anything left of you after the harem guards got a hold of you. But if you really had a way in, and you knew there was no way you could be caught, then I'd do it. Isn't it every man's dream to be allowed inside?"

"Not the Sultan's." Tariq couldn't help the words and hoped none of the bitterness he felt bled through.

To his relief, it startled a laugh out of the other four. "I suppose it wouldn't be, not when it's mostly his daughters in there these days. Though there are more than a few concubines as well as his official wives." Fahim grinned.

"And I know sometimes the Vizier is allowed in, and I heard once that his assistants got to go in as well. Once in a while people visit the Valide Sultan too, of course. But that's not really the harem proper," Halif added.

Dastgir nodded. "Yeah, but after the last of the Vizier's assistants caught that weird disease and died, they haven't been back in. That was the assistant before Khaliq."

"That reminds me, what did Sirhan want with you and Kadin? You never said and you came back quickly."

Under Fahim's intent gaze, Tariq did his best to look confused, honest, and just a bit deferential, hoping the darkness of the gardens would cover up any faults in his control. "He just wanted us to copy some papers for him and then organize. But a guard showed up, then Khaliq appeared, and they said they had to meet so Sirhan sent us back."

"That happens sometimes. He likes to have us make double copies of papers, and he's always rotating who he asks so it's fair." Jastir's voice was knowing and had just a hint of hero-worship, something Tariq was getting used to hearing from the scribes when they spoke of Sirhan. He made a mental note not to speak ill of the man in their hearing if he could avoid it.

"I'm glad. I was nervous when he called on me."

Fahim chuckled while the others grinned. "You don't need to worry about Sirhan. He's a good man and good to us. If it had been Khaliq calling on you, or worse, one of the nobles, then you should be afraid. You never know what they're thinking. Some even try to use those of us below them as scapegoats, to cover up their mistakes. It's best to tread lightly with the nobles and check everything with Baghel if you're worried. He hates trouble and will do everything he can to keep it from happening."

Tariq let his shoulders slump, as if in relief. "Thank you. There's still so much I haven't learned yet about the palace."

"That's what we're here for. You're one of us."

He looked up at Fahim, and forced a smile onto his face while he swore inside. Fahim was right. He was fully in that faction of scribes now, meaning his plan to work his way in with both sides was completely useless now. The other scribes wouldn't trust him, and if he tried to get close to him, Fahim and his lot would be suspicious of him. He was stuck.

Tariq swallowed a sigh. There was nothing he could do about it now, he just had to work with cards he'd been given. "Thanks. And if I can help you at all, just let me know!" Let them come to him with their problems and he could build their trust in him, and in turn, get them to pass him information. After all, it was easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar.