Chapter 12

I've been avoiding Reece for a week straight. Clark tells me that everyday he gets angrier and angrier, but I wouldn't know because I've tried my damnedest to avoid him at all cost. I didn't care what the distraction was, alpha duties, visiting Mikey, or date crashing Josh and Sasha. I just did not want to be around Reece Adams. If I caught his scent, I would immediately start heading in the other direction. It's getting kind of sad, actually.

I'm walking in the woods when someone yanks me back and throws me over their shoulder. Judging by the tingles that go through my body, I know exactly who it is. How the hell did he sneak up on me like that without me noticing his scent?!

"Reece Ethan Adams, put me down NOW!" I shriek. He ignores me.

"Put me down, you big mutt or I swear I will hand you the ass whooping of a lifetime! Put me down! PUT ME DOWN," I scream and struggle.

"Shut up," he commands tonelessly. Oh shit...he's angry. He's never talked to me like that, no matter how rude I've been.

He finally drops me flat on my ass right in front of the river, and takes a seat next to me. Some time passes before he finally speaks to me.

"Why?" He asks quietly.

"Why what?" I ask, feigning innocence.

"Why the hell have you been ignoring me? Why haven't you been around me once since Sunday? Why can't you just accept that we're mates? WHY DO YOU HAVE TO FIGHT ME?!" By the end of his speech, he's hovering over me, yelling in my face. But now I'm angry.

"First, watch your fucking tone. I'm an alpha, and I don't give a shit if you're angry. I will have respect, Reece; and you know what? Screw this. Don't fucking question me! I told you repeatedly I don't want to be your mate, and you wouldn't let it go. Sleeping with you was my fault. It was a mistake and I'm sorry for giving you false hope or whatever," I spat. "I don't understand why you can't just fucking let it go because, god damn it, I DON'T WANT TO BE YOUR FUCKING MATE!" I scream right back in his face.

"Why?! What the hell did I do to you to deserve this? You decided you didn't want me as your mate the minute you saw me. What the hell, Teagan!"

"Soul mates don't exist, you fucking dip shit! There is no true love, there isn't love at all! Get out of your fucking fantasyland; Reece! Mates aren't real!" Reece seems stunned into silence for a moment, his mouth slightly open at my angry display.

"How can you say that?" He whispers quietly. "You see love everyday. Sasha and Josh. Other couples in your pack. Probably your parents too. Love is everywhere. Is it so wrong for me to want that with my mate?"

"My parents?" I laugh humorlessly. Oh, he just lost this argument, I think bitterly to myself.

"My parents 'love' was a fucking joke. Think Reece, have you ever seen my parents around? No, you haven't. Know why? My mom stabbed my dad. Killed him cold. I woke one night when I was eight to see my parents fighting and then, she just killed him. The bitch didn't even leave me his body." I sniffle as soft as I can, and wipe away the traitorous tear that was making its way down my cheek.

"Oh...Teagan...," Reece starts, with that stupid sympathy look on his face. Screw him. I don't want or need his pity.

"Don't 'oh Teagan' me Reece. Don't. It's over. Done. But don't ever try to tell me love is real, because that's bullshit, and you're only fooling yourself," I spit and storm away.

"Teagan Rebecca Blakely, don't walk away from me!" He yells after me.

"Fuck you, Reece!" I screech, not even looking back over my shoulder. Suddenly he's in front of me. I open my mouth to tell him to piss off and he takes the opportunity to jam his tongue down my throat in a desperate kiss.

I honestly try to resist, but I can't help melting into him. When we finally break apart he cups my face and looks into my eyes.

"I'm not like that. I would never hurt you, Teagan. I swear. I lo-" his confession is cut short by rustling in the trees. Our gazes snap up in sync to see close to a dozen, rogue wolves step out of the forest, surrounding us. How did they manage to get past the patrols? That thought was worrying, but right now I had bigger issues.

"Teagan, go home." Reece says quietly trying to push me behind him.

"You're out of your god damn mind if you think I'm leaving. You forget I'm an alpha too, Reece. This is my fucking territory and I'm not leaving you," I growl.

Reece opens his mouth to protest as a wolf lunges for his back. I immediately shove him out of the way, and shift to meet the wolf in mid-air. It falters under the force of my lunge, and as we hit the ground I bite down on the wolf's neck. Hard. It didn't stand a chance against my alpha strength. I hear the clashing of claws as Reece takes on opponents, but don't have time to help them as two wolves rush me. One of them tackles me while the other aims for my neck, but I swipe it aside and it crashes to the ground, dead on impact. I wrestle the other wolf down and kill it too.

I look up from the one I just finished off to see Reece surrounded by three of the remaining wolves. At full health I have no doubt he could have taken them out easily, and my wolf momentarily swells with pride at the thought of our powerful mate. Wait, what? Mates aren't even real! And now is not the time to be ogling Reece! Especially since I realize he's injured, and not at full strength.

I am just about to go help him when I sense a presence behind me...

I don't have time to finish my thought before I'm clocked over the head and knocked out. The last thing I see before my vision goes black is the three wolves lunging at Reece.

***********************************

Soooooo. Guess what? My editor and I worked things out so I WILL finish TFA. I hope you enjoyed chapter 12. Thanks for those who gave the support.

Also, make sure you check out my other book Dance, Stella. Dance! I update them both simultaneously so you don't have worry about long updates on one or the other. And DSD is hopefully a lot funnier.

Vote! Comment! Follow! Your comments mean a lot so do that!