Prologue

I can safely say that the most horrific thing anyone can ever go through is to watch one of your parents kill the other. Not being able to understand why they did it is even worse. When it happened, I used to think that I couldn't understand because I was only eight. Now looking back on it 10 years later, I still can’t grasp why.

We used to be such a happy family. My father was a great Alpha, and everyone adored him because he never abused his power. My mother, his mate, was just as adored and a very caring Luna. Even though they never bore a son, there was still the expectation that I would take his place as alpha when the time came. No one ever minded that I was a girl, because I was my father’s daughter. We were the picture perfect family. So why, in the middle of the night, did I wake up to my mother stabbing my father?

*10 years earlier*

            I woke from a sound sleep to the sound of banging on the wall. I cracked my tired eyes to peek at the clock on my nightstand, which said 3:20am. There was another bang. Then another. As a curious child, I couldn't help but want to see what the noise was. I slipped out from under my covers, silently padded to my bedroom door, and listened.

            *Bang.* There it was again. I opened the door and crept out into the hall.

*Bang, bang, bang.* I could tell it was coming from my parents’ room across the way. The churning feeling in my stomach told me something was very wrong. I rushed down the hall, but paused at my parents’ door, unsure of what to do. The banging continued, and then there was a loud smack. Afraid and wanting my parents’ comfort, I threw open the door.

 I rubbed my eyes, my eight-year-old brain not processing what I was seeing.  My parents were on the ground, wrestling and growling at each other. There was a silvery glint in my mother’s hand. My father shoved my mother off him, and slammed her into the wall. She crumpled on the ground.

 “You stupid bitch! This is all your fault.”

 My father growled, and advanced on her. The two of them didn't notice me, staring wide-eyed from the doorway. He picked her up from where she lay on the ground and shoved her back into the wall again.

“If had just been faithful,” he shouted.

 Slam.

“If you had just cared.”

Slam.

“If you hadn't lied!”

Slam.

“I was unfaithful so you decided to have our entire pack slaughtered?” She spat back at him. “You disgust me. I am not the one with the issues here. You have no idea why I did what I did. I did it for the pack, for Teagan, for you.”

“So enlighten me, Marissa. What happened? Why’d you do it?” My father practically screamed at her, desperate.

“I bet its killing you not to know what happened. Guess what though? You never will.” My mother chuckled humorlessly. My father lunged at her, but she must have been anticipating that because she ducked, rolled, and kicked him the face. My father staggered back and lunged again. This time my mother did not duck. Instead, she lunged into him as well, shoving the silver glint I now know to be a knife into his gut. Anticipating another kick and not a knife, my father didn't even try to duck away. He crumpled on the ground.

I screamed. I screamed bloody murder. My mother’s head snapped up.

“Teagan…” my mother said softly, making her way towards me. I backed up fast, my back against the wall in the hallway. What if I was next? My mother gave me a pained look, but stopped coming towards me.

“Teagan, love, I am so sorry you had to see that. I know you don’t understand now, but maybe you will someday. Never forget that I love you.” With that, she picked up my father, threw his body over her shoulder, and went down the stairs. She never came back.

My perfect family ended that day. That was the last time I saw my father or my mother, in person at least. The image of the knife entering my father's gut would forever be stuck in my head. The bitch I called my mother didn't even leave me his body.

It was also the day I realized having a mate is a complete joke. What is the point in having someone you could “never hurt” because they were your “other half” if you can just go and stab them? There is no point, because I watched as my mother proved no such thing exists.

************************************************

Hooolaaaa, readers! 

Sooooo, what'd you think?? Hmm???

Vote, comment, and follow! Let me know what you think??

Love you lots!!

~Maya