Chapter 16: Lightweight

Book 1: It was a Mistake But I am Unbroken Now

Book 2: Here We Go Again When Two Worlds Collide

Book 3: Love is Loud Enough to Stop Hate <---- this book ;)

Book 4: That's How You Know to Believe in Me

Chapter 16: Lightweight

I’m a lightweight

Easy to fall, easy to break

With every move my whole world shakes

Keep me from falling apart.

            Something felt off when I came into school the next day. I expected the bullies to lay off for at least a day because I know they heard about what Kayla’s doing and I know that they know I’m part of it. Today I wasn’t the target; today it was Kayla’s turn. I was walking down the hall to class when Kayla was walking in and she was quickly stopped by Zane, Bethany, and all their friends. I was in close enough to hear everything that was going on.

“We heard through the grapevine that you are trying to stop the bullying?” Zane asked.

“Heard it through the grapevine?” Kayla said. “It’s been all over the school for months. You must be really clueless if you are just noticing it.”

I smiled, thankful that Kayla is still standing up for herself, but I know that was a bad idea; especially today when Zane and his friends are angry and ready to fight.

“Is that why everyone was gone yesterday?” Bethany asked. It was clearly sarcastic because I know she already knew; she always knows. “Because you’re trying to protect them.”

“Bullying is wrong!” Kayla yelled. “It needs to be stopped. I am going to do everything I can to stop it.”

“And we are going to do everything we can to stop you,” Zane said.

“What do you-“she gasped.

            I knew what was going to happen. I wish I didn’t know, but I did. I know Bethany and Zane all too well. They were both smiling and so were all their friends. The last person I noticed was Anastasia. She was standing a little behind her brother and I could see the slight fear in her eyes. Her hands were shaking just enough for me to notice before she put them in her pockets. I shook my head in disappointment. I can’t believe I was actually friends with her. She’s just a bully’s sister and that’s all she’ll ever be until she can learn to stand up for herself. She’s never going to have a life until she learns to do what she wants to do with her life. They think they won this fight. Kayla’s hands went to her stomach as the blood rushed out of her stomach. Dylan was the first to yell and run towards her; I quickly followed, but by the time I got there Kayla was already blacking out. I didn’t realize how much I was crying until I picked up my phone and tried to talk to the operator on 911. They said they were sending someone and I hung up the phone and tried to keep Kayla awake. I put my hands on her face and tried to get her to keep her eyes open. The principal came to help, but none of the students moved. Everyone was in shock and Dylan and I stayed with Kayla for as long as we possibly could.

            They took Kayla away in the ambulance and I called Kayla’s parents as I ran home as fast as I could. My parents volunteered to take me to the hospital and when I got there Dylan was waiting in the waiting room with Kayla’s parents. I sat down next to Dylan.

“Are you okay?” I asked him.

He looked at me and shrugged, “I don’t know Maria.”

“She’s going to be okay you know? You and I both know that she’s the strongest person we’ll ever know.”