14

These characters as well as their original story belong completely to Suzanne Collins, author of The Hunger Games.

"You stayed." I say after a while, and he grins at me, breaking whatever tension that had previously been between us. I pluck another blueberry from the bush, and put it in my mouth, it's tartness exploding over my tongue.
"Couldn't leave my best friend behind, could I?" He asks, and I smile, and push away the small thought in the back of my mind. You did before, it whispers.
The sunlight shines down onto us and I'm reminded of the old days, before I actually "met" Peeta, before I was taken to the games, and Prim was dead... all of it. When Gale and I ruled these woods, hunting and fishing, gathering and snatching any food we could get for our families. The nights that though we did as much as we could, we still went to bed hungry.
But not anymore.
Now hunting seems to have turned into more of a sport as we race through the woods, as quiet as ever. We have each others backs, just as we did before, and I feel the last part of me that felt like it was missing sink back into place.
But I know that not all of the pieces are put back where they belong. Prim will never be back. My father will never be back. Some pieces will never come back when things have fallen apart the way that mine have. But as I pull back the string of my bow to the corner of my mouth, I feel at peace. I release the string, sending the arrow souring right on target, and i grin proudly to myself.
This is where I belong.

The small bell on the bakery doorbell chimes as I enter the room. My game bag holds all of the money that I made from selling what I shot, and I wear it tightly on my shoulders.
"How may I help you toda- oh, it's just you Katniss." Tom says from the register and I grin, leaning against the display of food.
"Sorry for the disappointment." I say and a small smile grows on Tom's face, but he pretends to be focused on his work.
"So what are you up to on this fine day, Tommy?" I ask, following him as he goes table to table, picking up garbage.
"You know I hate it when you call me Tommy," He says, and I smile wider and I know he really doesn't care.
"And yet I still do. So, Whatcha up to?" I ask, and he throws the garbage away, struggling to keep his smile hidden.
"Well, I was working, but then you showed up and now you're in my way." Tom says, going back to the register to help a lady. She has light red hair, and freckles across her nose.
"Did you know that Tom here like to lick the doughnuts before he puts them in the bag?" I say to her after recognizing her. This is April, one of our regulars. She plays along.
"Tom! That's disgusting! I better tell your boss about this you know," she says, and I smirk.
"Yeah Tom. People get in serious trouble for licking doughnuts." I say to him in a grave voice. April covers her mouth.
"Oh yeah? What kind of trouble?" Tom asks rolling his eyes in amusement. This sort of thing happens a lot, Tom is an easy target.
"You didn't hear this from me," I say, lowering my voice. "But I heard, that the people who lick doughnuts, get... timeouts." And then April loses it, laughing so loud that everyone turns to look at her, but she laughs anyways, and Tom and I join in.
"Go see Peeta you butthead." Tom says giving me a playful shove and I laugh, entering the baking room.
I open the door, and I come in all smiles. But that's certainly not how I left.
Because, right before my very eyes, Lacie, one of the best employees, was kissing Peeta. I stand there open mouthed, just as Peeta notices me there.
"Katniss-" he says but I hold up a hand. I walk up to him, looking him hard in the eyes. He cowers slightly beneath my gaze, and that's when I slap him, hard.
"How dare you? You think that you can just go and kiss other girls whenever you feel like it? Well you're wrong. Do you hear me? Wrong." I spit out, anger and sadness boiling up inside me like an overflowing bucket. Lacie protests.
"Katniss I'm sor-"
"Zip it pretty face!" I hiss at her, and I glare and the two of them.
"Katniss please if you would just let me expla-"
"No! There is no excuse for what you've done!" I say and storm out of the baking room.
"Woah, Katniss. A little fiery aren't we-" Tom says in a joking manner, and normally that's all it takes to get me happy, but not today. Not now.
"Shut up Tom!" I say, running out of the bakery and out to the Victors Village. I consider going into my house, but then I choose a completely different one. I find a small corner in the house, curl up, and cry.

Hi! I'm sorry if this sucks I'm just tired and yeah. But anyways, please vote and comment feedback, as always!
Love ya,
Skyzone