~9~

~9~

"So are you going to the dance that's coming up?" Jessie asked me quietly. We were standing in front of a large poster that had princesses in poufy dresses and princes in tuxedos with bow-ties all smiling. Big letters read "high School Ball" in front of it and had the dates. 1 week left.

I didn't know if I wanted to go because I wasn't really in the mood for a dance, let alone wear a dress. I used to wear a skirt but now, I realised how much they annoyed me.

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked down the hall to see Carlos and Jay laughing at something. Just seeing them both happy made me happy. Jay was in his usual bad-boy clothing with a leather jacket and his combat boots. Carlos was in a black blazer that I whipped up in textiles class along with a red shirt underneath, dark jeans, combat boots and an army dog tag necklace that had his name on it around his neck. His hands were in his pockets as he strolled down.

He moved his gaze to me and shot me a smile. I smiled back. When he got closer, he wrapped an arm around my waist and looked up at the poster that Jessie and I were studying before. He gave a small chuckle before looking down at me. "Do you want to go?" he asked. I shrugged my shoulders again and looked at Jessie who seemed uncomfortable. I followed her gaze to see that she was watching Jay and Jay was watching her back.

Then it hit me. Jay is the son of Jessie's parents arch nemesis, Jafar. He tried to kill Aladdin and Jasmine for power. That would start a silent War between Jessie and Jay.

Jay let out an awkward cough and outstretched his hand towards Jessie. "I'm Jay" he said.

"I know who you are" she spat back. I had never seen Jessie like this. She was always quiet and kept to herself. This was a new side of her.

Jay looked hurt but had a grin on his face as he pulled his hand away but there was still a little glow in his eyes. I could see that Jessie was terrified of him. She was small and quiet whilst Jay was tall, strong and loud. I didn't see that they could be friends. But things could change.

Jay slapped Carlos on the back softly and nodded in my direction before he gazed at Jessie briefly. She looked away from him before he sighed and walked away.

"I'll see you later" Jessie said quietly.

I opened my mouth in response but she was already gone. Strange.

"Well that was an eventful moment" Carlos said.

I nodded my head in agreement and looked back at the poster. "Maybe we should go to this ball thing."

"I don't see what could go wrong" he said, tightening his grip on my waist. "So, do you want to go with me?" he asked. I looked up at him as his glowing eyes were on mine.

With a smirk, I said "what kind of question is that?"

"So that's a yes?"

"You know it." I leaned up and gave a small peck on his lips before readjusting my book bag on my shoulder and turned to him. "Ready to go to science?" I asked.

He nodded his hand and held onto my free hand. We walked to class hand in hand but with no words. It was a nice just walking down the hallway, hand in hand, taking in the feeling of being with each other again.

***

Walking back to my room, I saw a note taped to my door. I reached for it and saw my name written on it in cursive writing. I smiled and opened it up and read it slowly.

Piper,

Wear something nice. I'll see you at 5.

X