Day 15: Freedom??

I was being dragged…

Something was pulling me from my right arm, but I couldn’t move to see what.I was being moved across the stone floor seeing the emptiness slowly shrinking in front of me.It was Navon… The Testificate I once thought to be close to death was saving my life now. But it didn’t utter a word, nor did I. My exhaustion seemed to have petrified me into the limp being I was then.

The air grew warmer, thicker. The scent of soil was battling the dust, and the shadows that coveted me once were fading into light. I felt myself crying with relief, with joy, and success; or perhaps I already was in tears, I just couldn’t feel it from my numbness. No longer would I suffocate from the smell of stone and the stink of lava, I’d be surrounded by millions of odors that will forever please me in any way it could, but before we’d reached the grass under the stone, the arm that pulled me let go, causing my arm to fall back down. That was the first thing I physically felt that day.

‘N-Navon?’ I finally said, ‘are you okay?’ the answer was obvious, but I wanted Navon to know that I was conscious. Navon only nodded, which was unsettling but a good enough answer. I tried to get back on my feet, only to find that they didn’t obey to my commands. I pinched a toe, but nothing had appealed to it. ‘Navon… I can’t walk,’ I told it. Again Navon responded without a word, it just walked up me to and helped me onto its back. ‘You carried me, now I carry you,’ it said, determined to repay me by saving my life and getting the both of us out of here.

Before we knew it, we we’re being chased by monsters, the moaning of a Zombie, the footsteps of a hollow skeleton, and the hissing of a Creeper were not far behind us. This only drove our spirits like coal to a furnace; we burned with more determination than before because we would never give up when we’re so close to our goal.

‘Navon, you have to run faster!!!,’ I shouted, seeing a Creeper coming at us from the darkness.

‘My friend, I know we must, but I cannot do so with you on my back…’

Navon was right… It could’ve left me and have gone by now, and could I have done the same to it, but we couldn’t leave each other just like that. In that short time I’ve known Navon, I’ve grown a bond to it so strong that I was willing to trade my life for its, and I knew that it would’ve done the same for me. For the first time in my time here in the Overworld, I have never been happy to have nearly died.

I could see the blinding light of pleasantries growing larger and larger ahead of us. The air was growing sweeter, the stones were getting brighter, and Navon just ran faster and faster like a starving Zombie to its prey. The monsters were still there, but they didn’t seem to have existed in this moment. Right then and there, the only thing that mattered was to jump into sunshine and bathe in the ocean, to do all the things you can on the surface world that otherwise would have been impossible to do in the torturous cavern.

If I could explain how Navon ran, it would’ve been almost like it hovered over the stone. It was in a frenzy to see the light, jumping over ledges that would’ve proved impossible if it wasn’t for the moment. The only thing that kept me from falling off was Navon’s hands, my limbs flailed everywhere with every leap, jump, or even step sometimes. I was aware of every moment that passed by, every detail of that ecstatic moment, but all good things must end…

We were at the edge now, the barrier between the cave and light, and we just stopped. Navon dropped me on the ground all of a sudden and it fell to its knees. ‘Navon??,’ I scolded it for doing so, we were so close, a mere step away to our freedom, and this creature just dropped me on the ground as if I was litter. But not a word was spoken from it.

‘Navon, damn it, we’re so close! A few more and we’d be under the sun where we belong. We’ll have what we’ve wanted!!! I kept on, shouting at the damned thing, thinking that I was right, and it was wrong. I continued on, telling it that\at this was the stupidest thing that had ever been done. Then something unexpected erupted out of Navon, it wasn’t rage nor was it frustration. It was something in between, a deadly blend between the two…

‘I CALL YOU MY FRIEND YET DO NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND MY INTENTIONS!!!,’ Navon cried out, ‘ I’VE CARRIED YOU BEYOD MINE OWN LIMITS, IVE RAN FASTER THAN FOUL TO ESCAPE BOTH OUR DEATHS!!! ISN”T THAT ENOUGH!?’

‘No… it isn’t enough!’ I shouted back. ‘Because we’re still both dead! You hear them coming don’t you!? If I could move, I would’ve left you!!!’

I didn’t mean the scornful words I uttered, but it struck Navon harder than any projectile would… Navon only looked at me with its sad sad eyes. I could see the tears it held back from the strong glow of its eyes. I only looked at it with the same expression till it began to weep. I was the monster now, not the hideous creatures coming towards us.

I was the monster…

I looked at my friend, my only friend, ashamed of my own words. I couldn’t express how the guilt struck me, I simply did my best to look as sorry as I possibly could because I knew I couldn’t say it. I wouldn’t say it…

Instead I waited till I could act as if nothing had happened, and I knew I had waited much too long…

The hostiles were nearing us with persistence, and my toes began twitch at my command. ‘So… Navon, why did you drop me?,’ I asked it, trying to ease the tension. This is what I should’ve said in the first place, but the heat of the moment wouldn’t allow such words.

Navon pointed towards the light and it told me to look down. What I saw forced me to crawl back in fear and shiver, a ravine was not the perfect opening.

We had to jump and see what faith has in store, or face death in the face against the monsters behind us…