Day 10: The Hidden Room

In the endless twists and turns of these lightless caverns, I had to fend for myself for what seemed like weeks. I’ve had to run, hide and drain my supplies till I had nothing but rotten flesh for my sustenance. I was growing weaker by the second and my will to live, my kindle of hope, was beginning to fade. Soon, if nothing had happened, I would have lost everything… Even I and I imagined myself like the merciless, loveless creatures by the night who’d hunt me for no true reason beyond instinct.

But in this time of grief I learned and discovered more than I ever had. I saw stones of red, green, and blue which I marked for another days venture. I saw materials as black as the tall creatures, a substance that seemed almost invincible to touch where water and lava meet. But most of all I discovered something that blessed me with hope… I saw a room of cobble stone which I first thought to be safe…

There I was Climbing and falling, running and walking, crouching and evading... I wasn’t quite sure what I was doing anymore, it seemed like every fiber, cell and essence of life just wanted to survive, they seem to be acting on their own account and my mind had little to no influence to my actions. But my eyes were all seeing like never before, I could see in the dark better than I could before, I could hear farther and I could kill faster. What my eyes saw was something out of the ordinary, perhaps even exactly what I was looking for; the unusual… I’ve never seen cobblestone so naturally placed under a cave. At first I though my mind had finally turned on me like the rest of my body, but I felt it, I felt its rough edge and I knew that this was here. But on the other side of this cobble stone, I heard the moaning of half a dozen Zombies, all clueless of my presence yet eager to meet their next meal. I tried to find the entrance but there was none that I could reach from my end of this wall so I had to do what might offend the architect if this room, I broke through with the last wooden pickaxe I carried with me. I should’ve planted a trap or something but my mind was foggy and my judgment was no longer worthy; So as soon as I made that whole, as soon as that section of the wall broke off, the Zombies came rushing towards me and I lost my wooden pickaxe in the head of one of the six heads that came to me.

I ran, but not for my life. I ran to meet them in combat, in even ground. Well... I wouldn’t say even, I needed landscape that was to my advantage. A Zombie might bee helpless on its own, but as soon as there are plenty of them, they would have a great chance of taking your life. I had to pick them off one by one; I could only carry one sword after all; one stone one anyway. I was much faster than they were which made it convenient luring them to their deaths. Then I remembered one misplaced block, a wooden plank I placed before to mark the presence of lava, which would’ve done the trick without doing much damage to me and my sword… If I didn’t fall into it myself.

They followed me eagerly and I led them that way as well… The lava was nearer now and I could feel the temperature boil higher the louder the bubbling became. And when the ground began to glow, I knew that this is where I’d wait for the moaning to come. I quickly made it so that they’d have no choice but to fall into the lava. I made it two blocks high and one block wide with me elevated beyond their reach. They fell with one blow, their flesh melted before my sight and their putrid scent was soon transformed into smoke. I was safe for now and nothing stood in my way to the room in this cave…

There it was again, I ran my hand against the cobblestone wall to confirm its existence. Once again, it was silent; but one zombie seemed to remain inside. One Zombie was no worry to me, so I went in with great hopes. The Zombie was lurking in the other side of the room where two chests lay and a strange cage with miniature Zombies inside. The Zombie didn’t put up much of a fight; it seemed to be almost more than willing to die under my sword. I pulled my sword away from it and it dispersed like all that is dead, leaving behind more rotten flesh for me to store and to poison myself with. I observed the cage, the tiny creature seemed to spin faster and faster which I thought to be curious, I wanted to keep the cage for myself but when I attempted to obtain it, it simply broke into pieces leaving nothing behind… I felt a strange sense of loss to it, like I had a quick attachment to it in the seconds I’ve seen it. Oh well, I thought before I approached the chests to see what loot might’ve been left behind by whoever built this room. It seemed old, very old… the cobble stone on my feet seemed to have sprouted life similar to that of grass, but not quite. It seemed to grow from within the cobbles stone… So I called it moss and the variation of cobblestone: “Mossy Cobblestone.”

What was inside the chest bewildered me, items that I’ve never seen before, Items that seemed worth all the dirt and stone in the world: A leather contraption that seemed to fit a certain kind of creature, and amour fit for that creature built with iron and wool, red dust, gun powder, food, an item made of iron built to carry liquids, and a leather bounded object with paper inside. But most of all, most importantly of all, I had items that I wanted to acquire, things I wanted to keep, things I wanted with me on the surface!

I ate the food that was inside, an apple and a delicious loaf of bread (it demanded that name as I ate it) and went on my way with an iron sword to spare. My heart pounded with excitement as I rose and rose even higher, when I went down, I didn’t care where I was going, I just knew that there was a way, even just one way out of here and eventually I would find it and when I do… I would bathe in sunlight or moonlight and breathe the fresh air. I would punch some trees for the sake of doing so. No matter how long it might take, I will find it, and I will replenish my soul with the essence that is of life!

But that didn’t happen till later, much later. I was being too optimistic, I let be the dark creatures that dwelled in the cave and walked through like I saw nothing. Whenever I was chased, I ran like pig from its predator, I ran and I didn’t stop running till I had to eat my next meal. I was happy just being alive and well for once in this death trap. Nothing could’ve harmed my spirit. Or so I thought…

I was several blocks from where I was before, for the first time since my journey from below. I was tired. Resting in the darkness, I saw something that I thought to be Zombie, I saw a creature that stood as tall as me. I couldn’t see its face for it was looking away from me. It seemed to weep, or perhaps it was deceiving me? I didn’t know what it was. I saw nothing friendly in this cave so far so it had to be hostile. I walked up to it and it seemed to not notice my slowly approaching footsteps, I was only inches from it when I decided to test its nature…

I punched it and it shouted. ‘AHHHHHH,’ it said with a deep monotonous voice, ‘Don’t kill me I’m but a villager…TESTIFICATE!’