Day 14: The Predators Dream

I knelt by Navon and kept it safe while it rested. I’ve found the way out but I wouldn’t leave my friend to the mercy of darkness. He was out, with quick shallow breaths and a rising temperature that rose by the minuet. ‘Navon, wake up…,’ I said, ‘Navon… Get up for your sake!’ I had already tried poking, slapping and whispering into its ear to bring it back but none had woken him. I wasn’t simply going to sit there and watch it whither away but I couldn’t just leave Navon there. I had to think of something and quick, I needed a solution.

The light was only some distance from where we stood, but the heights seemed steep and dragging Navon might not be the best option. So I did what I had to, risking both our lives, depriving me of energy faster than what was necessary. I carried Navon on my back. I moved slowly, much slower than before. I could only walk one way and turning was for too risky to do. I was vulnerable to attack from any direction. I was the predators dream…

Every step grew heavier, every ledge looked higher and each drop seemed like an endless chasm. A hiss, a growl, a grunt or screech from far behind me, crept up my spine causing my body to feel weaker. But I pushed on; I fought every instinct or thought that would’ve led me to leave Navon. I could taste the sweat falling down to my chin, I could feel my legs shake as I raised them for their next step, and I could feel my back tremble with every tiny motion that led down. Yet I could feel the air grow warmer and softer the more I walked, I could feel the blessing of light against my view, I could almost hear the oceans chant and I could make up the pleasant scent of grass and leaves, that sweet and natural scent. But then I realized I could walk no more… A climb had to be done if I wished to escape this nightmare, and how could I climb with Navon weighing me down on my back.

I put Navon on a comfortable spot sitting up and relieved myself with a moments rest as I investigated an alternative through the wall. I wasn’t going to go back after carrying Navon through all that, after putting myself through all that. No, I was going to find another way through this that would both get Navon and me out of here without any setbacks. All I had to do was get over the ledge…

I tried waking Navon up again but it just wouldn’t budge. For a second its eyed opened but then it slowly closed back into slumber. It wouldn’t budge, not even for the climb and it was only getting worst. I had no blocks to spare and no pickaxe to mine with, I had to climb whether I liked or not and I had to do that carrying double my own weight. I broke off stone with my hands to make the leverage easier for a single step; the rest would not be so easy… With Navon once again on my back, only this time I had its hands around my neck, I grabbed the nearest crevice on the wall and pulled myself up with all my might. Navons weight didn’t seem to bother me at first, and having my legs no longer carrying weight made them feel as if they were no longer there. But that fragment of a second ended when I stabbed my feet into the leverage I made and pushed my self up, leaving a second with nothing to grab with my arms. But before I lost balance I found a small groove to keep me where I hung. The stones were stabbing into the tips of my fingers but I had to hold on, I had to tighten my grip on it for Navon and me. With one hand I was safe but in pain, and with the other I secured Navons position. I could feel the rock growing slippery from my blood and I knew that I couldn’t force the stone in deeper so I soon as I was confident that Navon was safe I grabbed a stone nearby the protruded from the wall and pulled myself up once again. Though this time there was nothing for my feet, I simply hung on the rock for a few seconds. Then I swung my feet hoping to reach something, anything… but there was nothing in the darkness for me. I did the only thing I could beside fall down; I pulled myself even higher hoping for something to happen.

And there was… There was more to grab and more to see. But I feared that with one hand, I may fall down and do more damage than good. I had to take the risk, I had to do it. And when I did I nearly fell, but my bleeding hand strength to spare. It wasn’t too long before I reached the top and rested. I was too tired to even let Navon off my back; I simply rested on my face on the ground and  with it still on my back. My shins and my arms were left with scratches, my arms and legs felt like dough and the ends of my right hand continuously bled. I stuck my hand in my mouth, thinking not to waste the blood the flowed out and stood absolutely still till I fell into a dreamless slumber…