Day 5: Spelunking part 2- Survival!

I was mining for so long, I lost track of time… I nearly collapsed when I took a break. I had eaten all my pork chops, and now I was starving due to my ignorance. Thinking that my situation couldn’t get any worst the sound of that black creature was coming nearer to me like a sheep to grass. In my hands I had the closest thing to a weapon, a stone pickaxe, and that gave me confidence. I couldn’t afford anymore damage from my hunger and this creature was an even worst omen to me. The shrieking grew nearer; it was death from above…

It was no where to be seen but it shrieked as if it was right next to me… I didn’t move from where I stood, I only waited for this beast to show itself knowing that this might be my last battle. I took one step closer, nothing… One more step and still nothing. But during my third, my fourth would’ve been my last. The creature came into my view from above, and before it could sink its fangs into my skull, I stabbed it with my pickaxe causing it to double back and pursue again, this time on the same level as I was. It jumped at me, but I stabbed at its eyes and kept on doing so, forcing it back and beyond my reach. I killed it in desperation, maddened desperation, it was either me or the spider and I wanted to see the light of day again.

I had to go back, but my hunger slowed me down. I was thankful I had left those torches on my way down but that didn’t suffice… I needed to eat something or die and all I had to spare was the Zombies rotten flesh…

I had to, I needed to and I did. I ate a strip of rotten flesh, which was one of the most stupid things I ever did. At first you’d think that it was satisfying, you would think that you were fine… But when the poison kicks in you start loosing health till you were back from where you started: low on health and hungry as hell. It didn’t kill you straight away, neither did hunger but it left you vulnerable to the creatures who wanted you as a meal. Thankfully there was none of that around on my way up. And when I was up the first thing I did was find a cow are a pig.

There were a few cows swimming nearby where the cave was, and fresh beef was exactly what I needed the most. I couldn’t run to them, nor could I swim… because I didn’t think I knew how to, so I targeted the cows in the shallows and those just near the shore. My pupils were diluted, and survival was the only thing that fueled me, I could only imagine that this was how the hostiles thought, a simple yet overwhelming urge to feed…

I had two cows killed in no time, and their beef saved me from myself, from insanity… The cows swimming were beyond my reach and regretfully, I let them be.

Replenished, I packed my camp and set my journey home. Though unsuccessful with my mission, I had more coal, more stone and new ideas on how to use it. I’m learning more every day on how to live on this land, how to stay alive on this land.

Not one Creeper and not one passive creature. The trip home was quite dull with the same sites and the same trees and the same markers I had left here before. My home was exactly as I left it, with dirt covering the entrance and a torch on the left of it. Inside was the same, I made my chest larger by merging the two and packed all the things I obtained. And I began chopping more wood while placing saplings to arouse my curiosity. Apples and more saplings fell from the decaying leaves and one I grew tired of chopping wood I headed back home to my crafting table to see what I else I could make with this cobble stone…

A stone axe was the first thing that came to mind which was made easily just by replacing the wooden planks with stone. I could make half blocks of stone which I’ll never find a true use for. And I made a curious hollow box made of stone that then I had no idea how I could use. It was made the same manner I did with the storage system out of wooden planks yet it wasn’t made for that purpose.

Growing tired of thinking and seeing that it was already nightfall, I went to sleep in preperation for the next day...