Chapter 8

(Michael's p.o.v.)

I walked into my apartment, feeling relieved about coming home after a long day at work. 

It was Monday, and even though most people (including myself) hated them to no end, this already good day turned even better.

I smiled at the sight of Gavin's letter, surrounded by other articles of mail that I could care less about. 

It was here, and that was all that mattered.

I really enjoyed our video chat a few weeks ago.

I felt a small smile creep on my face. 

You know it's funny, I never thought I could get so overjoyed by getting a letter from you. Speaking of you, how've you been getting along without me there? Because it sure is hell without you and the guys here.

That same smile just kept getting wider.

Just know that I miss you more than words can describe. 

Gavin sure knew how to make a man known for his rage ridiculously happy.

I had my paper and pen, ready to write, before I got interrupted by the sound of my phone ringing. 

"Yeah?" I asked, sounding a bit annoyed.

"Hey, Michael. I was wondering if you wanted to go out for dinner with us?" That was Barbara.

"Who's us?" 

"The majority of the people you work with." She said.

"Sure yeah, can you pick me up?" I asked.

"Yeah, give me fifteen minutes." She replied.

I left the paper on the table, walking to my room and changing. 

In the midst of dressing a bit nicer than what I had been wearing earlier, my phone vibrated, signaling a text. 

Barbara: Hey I'm outside. :D

I slid my phone in my pocket, taking one last look at myself in the mirror, before heading out.

I trotted down the stairs, feeling quite happy. Not just because of a dinner with friends but with the thought of what Gavin had written to me. 

I spotted Barbara's car as I walked outside, getting in the passenger side and smiling at her.

"Thanks." 

She returned the smile. "No problem, now let's go, I'm hungry."

We were headed to an Asian restaurant, and on the way we made small talk.

"So, how's Gavin?" She asked, taking an exit off of the highway.

"Good."  I replied. "How'd you know we were talking?"

"Please, a girl always does her research. Plus I stumbled upon tweets about letters, and I think that's cute that you're sending letters to each other." She said, giving me a smile.

"It's cute?" I scoffed. "I don't think it's cute, I just miss my boy a lot, fuck."

"Of course you do. But that's not the only reason, is it?"

"What do you mean?" I asked. 

"Michael, you wouldn't be sending letters to someone across the ocean when you can call them or tweet them if they didn't mean more to you than just friends." 

I was about to reply, but  I stopped myself. 

Was Gavin more than a friend to me? Did I really think of him that way?

Could that explain the dream, and the happiness I felt when his letter was in the mail?

"H-He's my best friend, Barbara." I stammered.

"I know." Was all she said, before turning into the parking lot. 

The dinner was short but overall enjoyable.

We discussed upcoming Let's Play's, RTX, RWBY, and anything else that came to mind. We laughed and joked and drank and had a great time. It felt like dinner with family more than it did dinner with co-workers.

After everyone paid and promised of another company dinner, Barbara and I headed home. The ride was silent, but it wasn't an uncomfortable silence.

"You didn't really answer my question, Michael." 

"It wasn't exactly a question." I retorted.

"There is a reason, and you may not know it yet, but I do." 

I looked over at her, and she smiled at me.

And I smiled back, because she always seemed to know me better than I did.

"Yeah, maybe there is." 

The rest of the drive returned to it's silence. She parked in front of my apartment building. 

"Thanks, Barbara." I said, getting out of her car.

"You're welcome." She replied, wearing that same smile.

"For everything." I said, before closing the door and going into the building.

I walked up the stairs quickly, before stopping and waving to Barbara before she drove away.

I opened my door, closing it softly behind me and walking straight to where I left my letter.

The minute I sat down, I began to write.

Dear Gavin,

It was really good seeing you again, we need to do that more often. I think I'll skype you tomorrow. The guys and I watched the new slomoguys video at the office, and we all thought it was a really cool way to end Banger Week.

Well, I'm a whole lot different here without you, to put it short.

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and maybe there's something more to this than I thought.

It doesn't even seem like three months have passed at all. 

I miss you Gavin, I miss you a whole lot more than I ever could have imagined. Even with all the shit talking, and how mean I was to you, you're my best friend, Gav. My boi. Team Nice Dynamite.

Everything. 

You're everything to me. And I don't know if you feel the same way, and if you don't that's okay.

Just know that I do.

Love, Michael.

 You truly are everything to me, Gav.