Chapter Thirty Eight

Two more chapters and an epilogue to go!

Happy Halloween for those that celebrate, if you don't, happy cheap-candy-day :)

Libby xx

The Priestess of the Moon placed something in front of Rachael's wolf – a long white shirt. She went around handing out shorts or shirts to those surrounding them. Soon enough, the King, Lorraine, Jackson, Nel, Alpha Bella and Luna Carter, as well as Lara stood in their human forms along with Lady Seraphina and Princess Thalia. 

They watched warily as Rachael shifted back into her human form and quickly donned the shirt that was handed to her. When she looked everyone in the eyes, Nel gasped. 

"Raven... your eyes." She whispered, hands fluttering around her mouth. "They're green."

The young red-head nodded, her red curls tickling her ears. With all her memories returned to her, she recalled a time where her mother had told her that her eyes changed colour depending on her level of pain – they turned grey when she was in a negative state, but they were a natural jade like her mothers. 

"It's Rachael." She corrected, embracing the silent response. "Rachael Grey."

Princess Lorraine fumbled on her feet. "Nurse Grey's daughter?" Jackson carefully stood nearby in case she fainted – she had a tendency to do that in stressful situations. 

Rachael nodded, and noticed Buchannan's front pocket had been ripped. Bending down, her dainty fingers pushed aside the fabric to reveal a familiar golden chain – her mother's chain. He'd kept it on him all this time... no doubt to manipulate Rachael more. She took the chain and hugged it close to her heart and stepped away from the vampire's decaying body. 

"I gave her that chain the day we graduated..." Thalia whispered, and Lorraine's eyes shot to her. The memory passed between the twins, and Rachael clutched the gold tighter. "I never believed her death a co-incidence."

"Neither." Lorraine agreed. "There was something off about it."

King Elliot suddenly ripped a snarl across the field, the hair rising on the army. "Something is off with Rachael. You almost killed Seraphina."

"I didn't have control." Her voice wavered, and Rachael stumbled away from the Wolf King. Her feet stepped over each other, her strength gone, but she wouldn't let go of the gold chain of Jade Grey.

"Elliot..." Seraphina started, reaching out a hand. The King spun around and grasped her arms tightly, desperate not to let her go after so close to losing her. 

"Weren't you meant to be with..." Elliot let go of her abruptly, starting to the castle. "Celeste..."

"She's with her Godmother." Seraphina explained. "Our daughter is safe."

The King seemed to hesitate before falling under the gaze of his beloved. He nestled his nose into her neck, breathing her scent for reassurance, before holding her close. Elliot cast a vicious glare towards Rachael's trembling form. 

Even though Rachael saved his life, King Elliotwas wary. A black, smoking beast with eyes of Hell was the other half of hersoul – and almost killed his Queen. He would have stayed back and helped theyoung wolf, but his leg was shredded. Elliot had run towards his castle to getreinforcements – he wasn't aware that is beloved Queen had left little Celestebehind and decided to raise the strongestpack of the Goddess. His mind was scattered with shame from leaving Rachaelto fend for herself, and anger over his Queen's obvious secrecy over the extentof her powers. Could she resurrect wolvespermanently?