Chapter Ten

Enjoy! Let me know as always,  hope you like it :) 

Libby xx

“I hope it’s not too much of a hassle…” Raven whispered carefully as Dave led her away from the colossal cabin.
“No! It’s fine.” He smiled warmly. Dave was wary around the young girl; her eyes held too much for someone of her age. So much pain that he was afraid of breaking her. Dave just wanted to go quickly back to his Kelly before he said something out of line.
The sounds of crunching leaves beneath Raven’s feet echoed throughout his ears as they wondered between the large trees. It was peculiar; Dave knew that wolves were quiet creatures, one with the forest around them. He knew that wolves had the ability to not make a sound while walking… Raven however was being quite loud through the forest. Dave’s eyes wondered to her feet, noticing the blisters and the dried blood coating her toes. Gulping, he quickly looked away, crushing a large stick under his thick boots as he did so. He noted she was still wearing a bloody rag of a dress; Elijah and Thalia no doubt more focused on the vampires than her attire.
“Um, there are clothes and shoes in the sleeping cabins…” Dave whispered back, his smile appearing more as a grimace as the red-head’s eyes stared blankly at him. There was no emotion in those grey eyes and it sent a chill down his rigid spine.

Raven just nodded.

Dave blocked his mind of all the things that could have happened to Raven to induce her lack of emotion and communication. They didn’t speak again for a few minutes as the red-headed youth followed the hunter towards the cabins. The hunter halted as he came across the tall thick trees around them, turning to Raven.
“How good are you at climbing?” Dave asked a blaze of excitement in his eyes. The hunter loved to climb; cliffs, trees, he thrived in heights. Raven frowned at his sudden energy and took a step back. Dave’s eyes were still shining as he pointed up. Her grey gaze followed his direction and spotted, hidden in the darkness, a home of wood.
“Is that...?” She questioned, frowning at the canopy.
“A treehouse? Yes, it is.” Dave answered, beaming. “This one’s all yours, the rest are dotted about the forest but you’ll be safe.”
“How?” Raven asked, looking up into Dave’s bright eyes. He felt unnerved at her stare; something was missing in those clouds.
“Well…” He started, staring up at the trees to avoid her orbs. “It’s one of the many secrets of the Hunters. Elijah’s idea.”
“He’s a good leader?” Was the next question out of Raven’s mouth. Taking him by surprise, Dave was left to think about his strong leader. He was known to the werewolves and vampires as many things; a lot of gruesome titles were on Elijah’s head. He was merciless, cruel and cunning towards his enemies. The Leader of the Hunters could strike down any enemy he faced; Elijah would take on any enemy that challenged him and take the bullet for any of his fellow hunters. He was young; only rising on 23 but he’d been through the lifetime of an experienced Hunter veteran. He treated his brethren like family; Elijah was always there for them. The cruel cunning commander taught his hunters everything they knew; Elijah was a role model to them. A smile came across Dave’s face as he thought of his leader.
“He’s the best I could ask for. That all hunters could ask for.” Dave grinned, a pride-filled look coming across his face. Raven stared at him; looked into his soul with a mere blink. Only a single nod came across her face, as she scaled the tree into the alcove. Dave left back to the cabin when Raven was half-way up the tall oak. When the young girl was sure that he had left, she let out a long breath. Her eyes filled with a series of emotions; none of them positive. Memories were battling at her brain, her heart beating faster at the mental commotion. Trembling white hands curled around the branches as she fought not only to climb, but to also push aside her assault until she was asleep. Broken nails dug into the wooden planks in the canopy as she hauled her body up onto the platform. Her arms screamed at the pulled muscles; but Raven was adamant on sleeping on something somewhat comfortable for one time in her memory. She had only slept on a concrete slab, and then against the scrapes of bark, Raven wanted to sleep with a blanket tonight.