15) The Truth

Layla:

This isn't right. They couldn't have killed her. I know for a fact that she died in that...accident...completely non-magical accident. But yet if what Matt says is true...the Deathstag killed my mother two years ago.
What does that even mean? My mother was a witch? I never knew where my powers had come from and Matt had never mentioned anything about it being genetic...I just assumed that it was a mutation in my DNA or something...because I am the one person that knows my mother inside out, back to front, or whatever. And I know she couldn't have been a witch. She wouldn't have lied to me about something this important, I mean why wouldn't she have told me? It would have been awesome to have a witch as a mother! Did she not trust me with her secret? Did she think that I would go around telling everyone? Of course I wouldn't of, she knew that! Then why, why didn't she tell me? Assuming that she was a witch... I knew nothing of my father, I could have gotten my powers from him...but then why hadn't my mother told me that my father was a warlock? Maybe she was waiting until I got my powers to tell me everything? But she waited too long...my powers developed after she was snatched from my life. So what does all this lead to? My mother is...was...a witch. A great one at that. And the Deathstag had murdered her. Taken her powers believing she was the child the prophecy was talking about.

Anger flared through my whole body, through my bones, through my skin, exploding from my very pores. They had taken her! And it was all for nothing! They had killed her out of selfishness and out of greed. I wanted them dead. I wanted them to pay. I wanted to kill them, rip them limb from limb slowly and in the most excruciatingly painful way imaginable and even that wouldn't have competed to the pain I felt when they took her away from me for ever. Nothing can compare to that pain. And it was all their fault! One thing I knew for certain though, the Deathstag were going down.

With that thought in my mind, I flew from the bed where I was clutching onto Matt painfully, and started pacing the room. How could I possibly take them on though? I wasn't strong enough, I was only a small, pathetic witch. Nothing special. But I had to do something. I can't just ignore them, knowing what they did. I was never a vengeful person, but I guess that was out the window.

But there was nothing I could do... I wouldn't even get close enough to lay a scratch on them. What am I thinking? Going up against them! What possible damage could I do? It would be a suicide mission! So then what? Do I just stay with Matt and help him defeat these magicians who were after him? Yes I could do that. I would do that. And I would make sure I would win. I will do that much, and then I will work towards my plan for the Deathstag.

So what then had actually happened to my mother? They had killed her. But how did they make it look like a common accident? Well they can do magic Layla, duh. But what had actually happened? Did she put up a fight? I would have liked to think that she did...

"Layla?" Matt asked uncertainly from the bed.
He was sitting on the the edge, his shoulders tense. His eyes were following my face as I continued to pace up and down the room.

His interruption had brought my back to present. Had I forgotten he was there? How long had he waited for me to speak? He must be getting impatient now and I couldn't blame him.

Matt stood up abruptly from the bed having decided he had had enough I guess, and walked over to me. He placed his hands on my shoulders to stop me from my pacing. With a finger, he placed it under my chin so I was forced to look into his face. His eyes were a darker green then normal as they stared intently into my own.

"Layla will you please tell me what's going on? Who is Elena Pierce?"

I stared back a few seconds longer before I whispered, "my mother," and felt myself falling.