22) Energy Fields

Layla:

"Hey do you want ketchup with that?" I asked while turning my head over my shoulder to look at Matt.

I was making mine and Matt's lunch, which today consisted of ham and cheese omelette's, and may I say just how heavenly it was smelling right now? 

"Ketchup? With an omelette? That sounds disgusting." He quirked an eyebrow at me.

"Hey! Don't insult it if you've never tried. It's pretty awesome."

Matt grinned, shaking his head. "Whatever you say."

"So...is that a yes?"

He didn't answer.
I guess that's a no. Oh well, his loss, he really doesn't know what he's missing.

It had been a tough morning and we were both ravenous. Why was it tough? Well me and Matt have been working harder than ever these last few days since figuring out the Deathstag was after me. And this morning was especially difficult because Matt had taught me a new speech spell.
This one was called 'morphaus'. It allows a person to completely change their appearance. For instance, hair colour, height, weight. The only thing it couldn't do was change gender, and there was always some part of you that stayed in place, whether that be your lips for instance. This spell would be great for people who wanted nose jobs, though it would wear off after a couple hours.
I'm not really sure how this spell could come in handy for fighting the Deathstag, but Matt said that every spell was useful to know, even if they seemed pointless. So I trusted him. In all fairness it had actually been pretty fun doing that spell and we spent hours changing our appearance into funny expressions. 
Matt was amazing at this spell, of course, (was there nothing he couldn't do?) and I was pretty much up to his standard within the first hour of practising. I couldn't decide whether that was a good thing or not any more. I mean yeah it was great being able to pick up magic so easily because it made it that much better for when I had to face the Deathstag. However I wanted something that would be different to the Prophecy. It already had my Birthday and fire element. Did it have to have the fact that for some reason I was actually pretty powerful? If I was rubbish at magic, then the Prophecy would have nothing to do with me, and perhaps we wouldn't be in this mess. But no. 

Sighing, I picked up mine and Matt's plates and set them on the island in the kitchen. Matt was already seated on the bar stool and his face lit up when I put the food in front of him. Like a magpie to something shiny.

"Thanks. This looks so good. And I swear I will try and cook something in the next few days...but well I don't want to poison you..."

I laughed. "It's fine and I do kind of value my health so..."

"So you'll understand if I start it off slow...I'm talking baked beans on toast slow."

I rolled my eyes and picked up my knife and fork, eating my food before it went cold.

After we finished eating my delicious feast, I picked up our empty plates and went over to the sink to wash them up.

"Now I may not be able to cook, but I can help with this. You sit down. I'll clean up." Matt took the plates from my hands and put them in the sink.

"Hey! I don't mind. How about I'll wash you dry?"

"Deal, but I have to clear everything away."

"Fine." I smiled. We have such a good relationship.

------

It was during washing up that I had an accident.

"Ow!" I jumped back from the sink and saw the chopping knife drop to the floor.