2) New Arrival

Layla:

I stared at myself in the floor length mirror.
I looked a mess, I guess I really had been restless last night. 
Sighing, I looked at my blonde hair which was close to resembling a haystack, any 17 year old girl's nightmare. I smiled grimly, however I was not just any 17 year old. 
Closing my eyes, I sent out a small wave of power. Opening them, I saw that my hair was perfect, not a hair out of place. There were some highlights to this lifestyle.

 I glanced at my wardrobe in the corner of the room. What to wear today? See, this wouldn't have been a problem this time two years ago. I would have worn a bright fitted top with a pair of skinny jeans and heels. But things change. People change. After the...accident...my whole life had turned around. And i'm not just being melodramatic.

I don't know what happened, I was in the popular group at school, the queen bee you may say, every guy wanted me and every girl wanted to be me - call me arrogant but that was just the way it was (notice the past tense). I wasn't the queen bitch as most popular people were, no, people liked me, I was Miss Popular for that reason, not for sleeping around. Everything was perfect. I was a happy, normal, teenager. Who's only care was whether my boyfriend really was checking out that slut Carmen Stry. Which, by the way, he was, but that story's for another day. Still things were good. Life was good.

That was my old life, my carefree and happy life where I went to school and when I came home I had my mum waiting for me, eager to hear about my day. I remember it clearly, I would walk into the kitchen, where she would have a mug of hot chocolate and a biscuit waiting for me and we would sit down and talk for a good hour or two.

Two years on and now look at me.
After the accident I no longer cared about anything. My looks, my status, my personality, even my friends stopped talking to me. Well, I say 'friends', but really they were just little...I breathed out. Getting off the subject Layla.
Now, I went to school, went to lessons, learnt nothing and went back to a new house where I live with my Aunt Lisa, Uncle Joe and my adorable 5 year old cousin Alice.
Don't get me wrong, I love them with all my heart, but it's not the same as my mum. And it never will be.
Back then it was just us two, mum and me. My good-for-nothing dad had walked out on us when I was four. I don't remember him at all, only his woody scent. But I liked it. Me and her.

 And then, just after my 15th Birthday, it happened. 
She was taken away from me, snatched from my life where I would never see her again. It tore me apart.

It wasn't until a year later when I was sixteen that my powers came. I had been standing in the middle of the kitchen when I had a sudden craving for nachos. When I found out we didn't have any I closed my eyes in frustration (as you would). You can  then imagine my surprise when I opened my eyes and found myself waist deep in my favourite flavoured nachos! It was the best, I can tell you. But at that time I didn't know such things like magic existed, to be honest the next day I thought I had imagined the nachos...thought that I was finally going mad.

But after that day other weird things happened that I couldn't explain and well my only explanation was...magic, that I was a witch or something. I know, sounds cliche right? There were odd things happening - therefore, I must be a witch! But after I found out I could create fire in my hands, turn water to ice, make things levitate, I knew I wasn't normal. And well magic just seems like an easy explanation, (when I believed I really wasn't imagining things).

No one knows.
And I mean no one knows about my powers. If they did they would probably put me in a lab and experiment on me and stuff, which, you know, I'm not a great fan of. That's why I have to be careful when I use my powers, it's such a hassle to make people forget what they saw if I slip up. And it makes me a little lightheaded to change what a person thinks.