Chapter 15

Nick no longer comes to visit me. I go to him. Some weekends, he attacks me. Some weekends, he leaves me along. It all depends on his mood. Anything can trigger him off. I have to be so careful.

No one knows what he's doing to me. They know I'm miserable, but I make up excuses for that. University work is getting harder. I miss my boyfriend. I'm homesick. Anything but the truth.

Glen knows though. I haven't told him. But I know he knows. Ever so often, he will try and get me to talk to him. But I can't. He doesn't understand what Nick will do to him if I tell him. I can't risk it.

I'm sat in my room on a Saturday night. All the house-mates are going out, but I'm in no mood to join them. I just want to sit in my room and drink myself stupid.

I hear laughing and joking in the hallway. They're just about to leave. Good. Go. I don't want anyone around me. The door opens and closes and the voices fade away. I'm finally alone.

I grab the bottle of vodka from under my bed and take a swig. It burns my throat, but to feel anything these days is a blessing. I've made myself numb, just to forget the pain. I take a few more swigs and just sit there, staring at my wall. A self-contained prison that my life has become. How did I let it get this way? How have I let my life get so bad?

There's a knock on my door. Fuck. Who the hell is left? I don't answer, and hope that whoever it is will go away.

I'm wrong. The door eases open and I see Glen poke his head around the corner.

“I'm not in the mood to go out,” he says. I nod. “Can I join you?”

My head screams no. If I've had something to drink, I could tell him everything. I could get him in trouble. But my heart...

I nod. He lets himself in and comes to sit next to me on my bed. He looks at the bottle of vodka but doesn't say anything.

“I want to get so drunk that I pass out,” I state. He nods. “There's another bottle in the kitchen.” He's immediately up and out of the room.

I could lock him out. Save him from whatever this night has to bring for me. But I don't. He's quickly back in the room with the vodka, opening it as he sits down.

“How many have you had?” he asks.

"About 4 mouthfuls.”

He brings the bottle to his lips and drinks. I see his game. We're going to drink the exact same amount tonight. He won't stop me drinking. But he won't let me do it alone.

I've changed my mind. I think his company is exactly what I need.

*******************

I've practically finished the bottle, but I only just feel drunk. I don't know how I've managed that, I'm usually completely smashed at this point. Must be the foul mood that I'm in. Glen doesn't seem that bad either, and he's matched me drink for drink.

“Nick's a prick,” I announce. Glen nods.

“You can say that again.”

“Nick is a prick.” He smiles slightly. “The way he makes me feel...” I stop. I don't know whether I should say any more.

“Please talk to me,” he begs. I look at him. This is it...

“I don't feel like I'm worth anything any more. I'm just a possession. I'm so miserable. So fucking miserable. I don't know what to do.”

“Get out of it.”

“It's not that simple.”

“Yes it is. You turn to him and tell him to fuck off. Then you go.”