Chapter 3

A few drinks later and I'm pretty tipsy. And I'm talking. A lot.

“You know what I'm saying? It's a really amazing thing. You look at it and think to yourself 'Wow. How did I get through life not knowing that?' I see it all the time, now that it's been pointed out to me. You will too, you know. Now that I've told you. You'll never stop noticing it, and you'll probably curse my name every time. But that's okay. Because you'll know that you'll be able to annoy someone else in your life with that information and that they will curse your name too. And you'll think to yourself 'Yeah, I did that.' You know what I mean?”

I look at him. He's leaning against the table, cheek on his hand, with a big grin on his face.

“What?” I ask.

“Nothing,” he says.

“No, come on!” I nudge him. “What's so funny?” He sits up and downs his drink.

“Want another drink?” he asks and gets up.

“No, you tell me what's so damn funny!” I get up with him. He laughs and makes his way to the bar. I grab his arm and follow him.

“What d'you want to drink?” he asks me. “Same again?”

I don't answer him. He laughs at my grumpy expression and orders some drinks. This is really annoying.

“Why were you laughing at me?” I ask again. He turns to me and ruffles my hair.

“You were right about the drink,” he says. “You do talk. I've not heard you say so much all night.”

I feel like I've been punched. I've talked way too much. And he's sick of it. And he thinks I'm an idiot.

“Hey,” he calls me back. “Don't worry about it. I like it.” He holds out a couple of shots. “Here we go.”

“What are they?”

“Shots.”

“No shit. Shots of what?” That grin again.

“Does it matter?”

“Yes. You could be drugging me.” He laughs.

“You're funny. I'm not that kind of guy. Just drink it. Or would you like to swap?”

I seriously consider it. He grins again and raises one of his shots.

“On three?"

****************

My vision is blurry. I can't stop laughing. And I've got an equally drunk Irish guy dancing with me in the middle of the dancefloor.

What is going on with me? I've never felt so alive. I've been drunk before, but this is completely different. I don't feel like I'm going to throw up. I don't feel like I'm going to embarrass myself. I feel really quite confident.

Glen hasn't left me all night. This is amazing. I've managed to catch the interest of easily the best looking guy in the entire club. Massive confidence boost or what?

He's jumping around in front of me, laughing along with me, screaming out the lyrics to the cheesy music we're dancing to. I've never felt so lucky in my life. He really is an amazing guy. We've just clicked. Sure, I fancy him. But even if he doesn't feel that way about me, I can easily say that we're going to be friends. I want to be friends.

That's when I make the decision. No men. No relationships. Whatever happens, happens. I'm not going to tie myself down. I'm going to live my life like it's my last day on Earth. I'm going to have fun.

I notice that Glen has gotten closer to me. A lot closer. And I don't care.

I grin up at him and put my arms around his neck. He smiles back and puts his hands on my waist. We're so close now that the tension between us is just incredible. He rests his forehead on mine and closes his eyes. I sigh and close my eyes too. This just feels so good.