Chapter 6

Sitting in the car on the way home, this is possibly the strangest scenario ever. Before I moved away, I would never have imagined that I would be coming home with a guy for Christmas. A guy that is not my boyfriend. A guy who I've slept with a fair few times.

Oh. Yeah. I forgot to mention that. Since that initial slip up, it's happened a few more times. How many more times, you ask? Pretty much every time we've gone out drinking. Yeah, I know. But to my credit, I'm managing to make the whole thing seem like normal. In fact, the more it happens, the more normal it feels. And it's not like we intentionally go out for that reason. Every single time it happens, we swear it won't happen again. But we're like magnets to each other once alcohol is involved. I can't really explain it.

Still. We've never talked about being together. I don't want it. He doesn't want it. It's perfect the way it is. Best friends who occasionally sleep with one another. No strings attached. It's all good.

And talking about good, him and my mum get on like a house on fire. Since I introduced them to one another, they haven't stopped talking. Mum's asking him about a million questions and he's happily answering them. Why can't I have her ability to just get on with people the second she meets them?

“Aren't you Emie?”

I snap back into the real world. My mum just asked me a question, Glen is looking at me with a mixture of anticipation and amusement, and I'm sat here looking like a deer in a headlight.

“Sorry, what?”

“I said you're going to give Glen a full tour, aren't you?”

Well. I wasn't going to. I hadn't really thought about how to occupy him. But it couldn't hurt, I guess.

“Oh, yeah, of course.”

Glen grins at me.

“Looking forward. I've heard so much.”

And then they're off again. Suppose I'd better start thinking about the entertainment I am now obliged to provide for our guest.

***********

We arrive at the house and then I suddenly remember. Shaun. My little brother.

I groan internally. He will lavish the notion of me bringing a guy that is a stranger to him back from my new life. Questions will be thrown my way and I will never be allowed to let it go. Oh Jeez...

I open the door and walk in. There he is. Smirk plastered on his face. He's going to make things awkward for me. I can feel it.

Before Glen has the chance to come in, I grab his arm.

“Don't,” I warn.

“Don't what?”

“Just don't. Please. He's a friend. That's all.”

“Mmhmm,” he hums. “Sure.”

“This was Mum's idea. Not mine. Just make him feel comfortable.”

“Yeah sure.”

Before I can say another word, Mum and Glen come in.

“And this is where we live,” Mum announces proudly. “Our home is your home. Go get comfortable while we unpack.”

Glen offers to help unpack, but she brushes him off and ushers him into the living room. He smirks at me as he passes and takes a seat.

I help Mum carry our stuff into my room and drop my suitcase onto my bed.

“So when are you two going to get together then?”

You've got to be kidding me. We've only just arrived and she's already started the interrogation.