Chapter Six: Malfunctions & the Lord

Rei groaned, rubbing her eyes. Hang on a minute. She was being carried. In someone's arms. But who? And why?

She peeled her eyes open, looked up, and saw Nakami's face above hers. He glanced down, and smirked. "Yo. You awake now?"

Rei blinked, then yelped in shock. "Why the hell are you carrying me? Put me down!"

He chuckled. "That's not a very nice thing to say, especially since I was kind and considerate enough to volunteer to carry you all the way back to Ichigo's house after you passed out earlier. Don't I deserve a thank you, at the very least?"

"Fine. Thanks." Rei grumbled. "Can you put me down now?"

"Why should I? It's plenty cozy like this." Nakami smirked cheekily.

Rei's mouth fell open in indignation and her face flushed red. "Why you-----!"

"You really are a tsundere, aren't you?"

"Like hell I am!"

Nakami laughed, leaping from rooftop to rooftop, holding her in his arms. He didn't put her down.

Rei yawned, curling up inside the spare closet and closing her eyes, trying to get some sleep. She gave up after some time, sitting up and scowling. "Do you really have to just sit there and watch me? It gets creepy."

Nakami shrugged from his seat in the opposite corner. "My job is to monitor you here in the World of the Living. I can't do that if you're left all alone, now can I?"

"Whatever." Rei grumbled, pulling the covers over her head and going to sleep, fully aware of those emerald green eyes watching her, as if they could bore right through her blanket.

"Wake up, Miss Asaka. Wakey wakey!"

Rei groaned, sitting up. "What now?"

"You'll miss breakfast if you don't hurry up." A voice said. Nakami. Rei glanced up. Nakami was kneeling next  to her, prodding her shoulder.

"Did you get any sleep at all last night?" Rei asked.

"Yeah. Don't mind me. You should hurry."

"Okay, okay! Just let me get dressed---"

"Want me to help?"

"No way!" Rei pushed him out the door. "Wait for me outside, and don't come in. If you peek I'll punch your lights out!"

Rei huffed, straightening her Soul Reaper robes. "Geez . What now?"

"We've got orders. Large numbers of Menos have been detected around the city. To be precise, Gillians and Adjuchas, and even a Vasto Lordes." Nakami replied.

Ichigo scratched the back of his head. "What the hell are Adjuchas and Vasto Lordes doing here?"

Rukia answered. "They're attracted to Rei's Spirit Pressure. The Soul Society is sending other Soul Reapers to help us out."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hold up." Rei held up her hands. "They're attracted to me? My Spirit Pressure?"

"Of course. Your Spirit Pressure, even while contained like it is right now, it's much greater than any of ours. To Hollows, the greater the Spirit Pressure, the tastier the soul. So to them, you're like a piece of extra delicious candy."

Rei sighed. "Well isn't that just great. I'm a piece of candy."

"I wonder how you taste." Nakami remarked.

Rei rounded on him. "Do you know how wrong that sounds?"

He shrugged. "I was just wondering what you'd taste like to a Hollow."