Chapter Twelve: The Case of the Missing Third Seat

"Third Seat Asaka!" Byakuya said.

"Yes, Captain?"

"I have a message addressed to Captain Soi Fon of Squad Two. Please go deliver it to her immediately."

"Yes, Captain!"

Rei took the envelope, then dashed out the door and into the streets of the Seireitei. Hmm. Captain Kuchiki made the message sound rather important, so I suppose I can just take the short cut by the forest to save time.

It had been a little over three weeks since the New Years festival, and Rei was back to being as busy as ever. Hollows had been appearing more often now for some reason. Maybe they sensed the high spirits of the Rukongai citizens, who were still in a good mood thanks to the festival.

Rei sped up, letting the wind comb through her hair as it streamed out behind her. The forest was only a few feet away, and she could see the Squad Two barracks up ahead.

Suddenly, Rei screeched to a halt, eyes wide and alert. Someone, or something, was watching her. She could just barely sense the traces of a strange Spirit Pressure, one she had never felt before. Her hand strayed to her side, but found nothing but empty air.

Dammit. I left Inazuma at the barracks. I'm such an idiot. Her hand moved to her wrist instead, where Bloody Rose was.

"I know you're there." She called. "Show yourself!"

In answer to her words, dozens of figures dressed in black bodysuits stepped out from the forest, black cloth masking their faces.

"Who are you?" Rei asked.

The figure at the front replied. "We are the Stealth Force."

The Stealth Force? Then how come I don't recognize them? "What do you want with me?"

The leader's eyes flashed coldly. "Squad Six Third Seat, Rei Asaka. You are hereby under arrest by the orders of Central 46!"

***

"Renji!" Byakuya said.

"Yes, Captain!"

"Have you seen Rei Asaka today?"

"No, Captain. Why? Is something wrong?"

Byakuya stared out the window of his office. "I sent her to the Squad Two barracks with a message for Captain Soi Fon. She left four hours ago, and still has not returned. I thought perhaps she simply forgot to report back to me."

"She's been gone? For four hours? Has something happened to her?"

"I think so. I have already dispatched several groups to search for her."

Renji looked down at the floor, thinking. Rei, has something happened to you? What's going on?

***

"What?!" Nakami yelped. "Miss Asaka's------missing?"

"That's right." Renji said. "She's been gone for seven hours now."

"She didn't just go somewhere for a walk?"

"Are you an idiot or what? What kind of walk is seven hours long?"

"I know, I know." Nakami sighed, closing his eyes. Rei, if you can somehow hear me, where are you?

***

Byakuya was on the porch of his manor that night when suddenly, a Squad Six member Flash Stepped into view before him. "Captain Kuchiki!"

"What is it?"

"We have news about the missing Third Seat, Rei Asaka."

This caught Byakuya's attention. "And?"

"We were unable to determine her location, but Captain Soi Fon said that no message was delivered to her today. Also, we found this not too far from the Squad Two barracks, beside the forest."

He held out something, and Byakuya's eyes widened.

"According to Squad Ten Lieutenant Haruto Nakami, this bracelet belonged to Rei Asaka. We found traces of her Spirit Pressure beside this bracelet, along with traces of unknown Spirit Pressure. There were also signs of a struggle."

"Very well. Keep up the search. Alert the Head Captain and the other squads; we have a missing Soul Reaper."

***

Nakami wiped sweat from his brow. Today was already the third day of the search for Rei Asaka, and no squad had had any success so far. Squad Twelve was working around the clock, analyzing samples from the scene of disappearance, while Squad Six searched tirelessly for their Third Seat.

He placed a hand on his zanpakuto at his waist. Tied onto its pommel were two amber bead bracelets; one belonging to him, the other to Rei. Byakuya had personally given him Rei's bracelet the other day, along with the terrible news of Rei's kidnapping.

Miss Asaka. How are you? What's happened to you? Where are you? Those thoughts continuosly raced through his head as he searched.

***

Meanwhile, in the Muken, Byakuya was personally informing Aizen about the disappearance of his daughter.

"I see." Aizen said. "I appreciate you telling me. And there aren't any clues that could lead you to her?"

"No. None." Byakuya replied.

Aizen sighed, his brown eyes hard and cold from the gap in the black bandages binding him. "I warned you and the Captain Commander Yamamoto. Perhaps you still do not trust me."

"Sosuke Aizen. You know something about Rei's kidnapping. Why do you hide it?"

"The question isn't whether I'm hiding it or not. The question is, would you believe me if I told you?"

"That would depend on what you tell me."

"In that case, I bid you a good day, Byakuya Kuchiki."

Byakuya, seeing that he wouldn't be able to get any more information out of him, turned and walked away.

Aizen closed his eyes. Ayame, you'll protect Rei, won't you? Please, if you can, protect her until I get there.