Chapter Five: Her First Assignment

"An assignment?"

"Your first. You are to be stationed in the World of the Living, and protect Karakura town. However, since this is your first assignment, you'll be supervised by Rukia Kuchiki, Ichigo Kurosaki, and Haruto Nakami."

"Understood, sir."

"Captain Kuchiki, I'll leave the rest to you."

"Yes, Head Captain." Byakuya said. "Asaka, my sister and Kurosaki are in the Living World right now. Lieutenant Nakami will accompany you there."

"Yes, Captain."

"You may leave."

Rei Flash Stepped to the gateway, where Nakami was waiting. He glanced up as she drew near. "Oh, hello, Rei."

"Since when were we on first name terms, Lieutenant Nakami?"

"Would you prefer I go back to Miss Asaka?"

"I'm not sure which one I dislike more, especially when you say it."

Nakami laughed. "Your coldness is rather refreshing sometimes. So, shall we go?"

Rei nodded. "Sure."

"And by the way, nice tattoo. I had no idea you were such a badass rebel."

"Shut up!"

Nakami laughed again, before leaping through the gate opening. Rei followed him through.

Rei sighed, then knocked on Ichigo's window. He opened it a few seconds later, and his eyes widened at the sight of her and Nakami.

"Rei, what're you doing here?"

"First, can I come in?"

"Yeah, sure. Why're you here?"

Rei slid through the open window. "I've been stationed in this world, to protect Karakura town. By the orders of Captain Kuchiki and the Head Captain, you, Rukia, and Nakami are supposed to make sure I don't do anything stupid."

Nakami stepped into the room after Rei. "That's correct."

The closet door was flung open, and a stuffed lion walked out. Rei shrieked in alarm at the sight of a toy moving all on its own, and felt as though she would pass out, especially when the lion gave a holler of delight and lunged at her. "Finally! A girl with boobs!"

Rei was about to slice it in half, until Ichigo lunged out and grabbed it, flinging it down on the floor and squashing it under his foot. "Idiot! Mind your manners, or I'll toss you out!"

He looked back at Rei, who was still in disbelief. "T-t-talking st-t-tuffed anim-m-mal!"

"And perverted, if I may add." Nakami said.

"Oh, right, you've never seen a Modified Soul, have you, Rei? Sorry about that." Ichigo said. "This is Kon, a Mod-Soul. He hangs around here. If he bothers you, then you know how to deal with him." To prove his point, he stepped on Kon even harder.

"Ouch! My stuffing'll come out! Get off!"

Rei swallowed. "Oh, okay! Walking, talking perverted stuffed lion! Okay! Nothing to worry about, nothing to worry about!"

Nakami placed a hand on her shoulder. "You sound plenty worried, Rei."

She smacked his hand off. "Hey, hands off!" She snapped, back to her normal attitude. "And I said, no first names!"

Nakami chuckled.

"Rei!" Rukia gasped when she returned to Ichigo's room. "What're you doing here?