Chapter Fourteen: Kidnapped!

The Soul Reaper captains and lietenants arrived in at the Maggot's Nest a few minutes later, expecting a prison. However, they were met with prisoners robed in white stumbling around in nothing more than a huge pile of rock, dust, and rubble.

"What----happened here?" Soi Fon asked in astonishment.

Kyouraku lifted his straw hat from his eyes. "I believe our answer is right over there." He replied, nodding ahead of them.

Nakami looked to see where the captainwas indicating, and his eyes widened, as did the other Soul Reapers'.

Rei stood in the middle of the destruction, an empty circle surrounding her. She wore a white robe like all the other prisoners, except she had shackles on her wrists and ankles. Her head was down, raven black hair shielding her face from view. Her hands were smoking, as if she had blasted something with them.

"Miss Asaka!"

"Rei!"

Nakami, Renji, and Rukia lunged forward, but the Head Captain stopped them.

"Head Captain?" They asked uncertaintly. "Is something wrong?"

"Careless fools!" He reprimanded them harshly. "Take a good look at her."

They did so, and something caught Nakami's attention. "Um, Miss Asaka? You----wouldn't happen to be-----the one who blew this place up, would you? Miss Asaka? Miss Asa-----!"

His breath caught in his throat, and the other Soul Reapers gasped or stepped back in shock. Rei had lifted her head, her hair falling from her face, and Nakami turned white.

Her golden eyes, once warm and friendly yet full of fire, were now cold, empty, and the color of crimson blood. Her skin had lost all its former rosiness, turning deathly pale. Dark shadows lined her eyes, and as she opened her mouth, he caught sight of a pair of fang-like canine teeth.

"Miss Asaka! What happened?"

Rei turned her empty eyes on him, sending chills running up his back. She was clearly looking at him, except it was as though she didn't see him there. Then her lips moved, and she murmured something.

"What was that?" He asked, listening closely.

She spoke again, louder and more firmly. "Die, Soul Reaper."

"Miss Asaka!"

"Rei!"

"What're you doing?! Are you crazy?"

"Die, Soul Reapers. Die." She repeated, lifting a hand. Her palm began glowing with red energy, collecting in a large ball.

"Is that-----a Cero?"

"But that's impossible! Rei is a Soul Reaper, not a Menos!"

"Look out!"

Rei fired the Cero, blasting the spot where Nakami had been standing a split second earlier, leaving nothing but a pile of dust.

The Head Captain pounded the ground with his cane. "Captains and lieutenants of the Thirteen Court Guard Squads! This is an order from the Head Captain! The girl who stands before us is no longer the person we knew. You are ordered to bring her into custody for interrogation!"

"But Head Captain!"

"This is an order!" He roared.

They didn't have any other choice but to draw their zanpakuto. However, many of them were clearly uneasy about attacking Rei, either because they knew her as a friend or were scared of her strength and power. After all, she had easily defeated most of them when they first met, several months ago.