Chapter One: Rei Asaka

Ichigo groaned as he and Rukia raced up to the park, where the signals on her phone had been coming from. Hollows swarmed over the park benches, causing mass panic in the civilians, who saw nothing but random explosions.

"Well, let's get to work." Rukia said, unsheathing her zanpakuto. Ichigo did the same, and they leapt into battle, slashing through Hollow after Hollow.

However, there were just too many Hollows, and they were about to be overwhelmed. Suddenly, he saw a flash of blue. One of the Hollows had started advancing on a young girl with strange blue hair. She was absolutely defensless, and backed away from the Hollow.

"Ichigo!" Rukia shouted, pressing her blade against a Hollow. "Get that girl!"

Ichigo hacked his way through the Hollows in his path. But before he could reach the girl, the Hollow lunged, baring its teeth.

Ichigo expected the girl to scream, or call for help.

However, she just smirked. "Naughty Hollow. It's not nice to pick on little girls, you know." Her wrist glowed blue, and the glow elongated to form a shining bow, made entirely out of a shimmering blue light. She fired an arrow, splitting the Hollow's skull right in two. It disintegrated into black powder.

Ichigo's mouth fell open. This girl, whoever she was, was a Quincy, without a doubt! Rukia leapt to his side. "Ichigo, did I just see what I think I saw?"

"If you saw that girl use the powers of a Quincy, then yeah."

Meanwhile, the girl launched a volley of arrows, except something seemed different. These arrows were-----silver? And more surprises were to come. The girl put away the bow and drew two zanpakuto in the form of long knives, each blade as long as her forearm.

"Ina! Zuma!" She called. "Let's fight! Crash and Rage!"

The two knives glowed and elongated, until the girl held two normal sized katana swords, which she used to slice neatly through the Hollows' skulls.

Rukia's eyes widened even further, and Ichigo almost forgot to breathe. "She's both----a Quincy----and a Soul Reaper?"

"Is that even possible?"

The girl shrank her katana back into knives, sheathed them, stood, and noticed them. "Oh, hello. You must be Rukia Kuchiki and Ichigo Kurosaki, the Soul Reapers here in Karakura Town."

"Yes, that's us." Rukia answered. "Who are you? And how did you hear of us?"

The girl smiled, brushing a lock of blue hair out of her face. "I'm Rei Asaka, and the man with the striped hat who owns that shop told me to come here to find you."

"That would be Kisuke Urahara."

"I guess. But tell me, where can I find Uryu Ishida?"

"Why would you want to find him?"

Rei smiled again. "Because he's my last living relative. I'm part Quincy, as you can tell."

Ichigo blinked. Uryu Ishida, class genius? Related to this girl with sea blue hair? No way. But Rei was without a doubt a Quincy.

"Hold on." Rukia announced. "You used two zanpakuto. How can a Quincy use those? It's unheard of!"

Rei shrugged. "Maybe so, but I'm also part Soul Reaper."

Rukia's mouth fell open, and she backed away from the girl. "But that's even more unheard of!"

Rei pulled out a katana and casually propped it over a shoulder. "And?"

"If you're a Quincy, then why were your arrows silver?"

"I dunno. Guess it's part of the whole 'half and half' thing. But the arrows only kill a Hollow when I want them to. The silver ones just Purify Hollows. Like my zanpakuto. And um, by the way----"