Chapter Three

Uncle Greg came and sat back down looking disappointed and with empty hands. It seemed Sherlock had needed space for some more specimens and so had thrown all the food out, deeming it much less necessary. Just as he sat on the sofa, Sherlock and Mycroft emerged from my room.

I looked up expectantly at them but neither made eye contact with me. "Well?" I asked.

"What?" They both replied at the same time.

"You going to tell us what this is about?"

Suddenly Greg's text alert went off, diverting all our attention to him.

He took his phone from his pocket and quickly scanned the text. "I better go, Molly's running late." He said as he got up and pulled on his jacket. "I'll see you all later, hopefully. Explain it to me then, alright?" He asked Sherlock. Sherlock nodded back unconvincingly.

Uncle Greg sighed and shook his head but waved bye to us before leaving down the stairs. From the corner of my eye I saw Uncle Mycroft look down at his shoes for a seconds and his face was just a shade pinker when he looked back up.

I desperately wanted something to happen between them but with Uncle Greg married to Molly it seemed very unlikely that anything would. It wasn't really fair. Mycroft deserved someone like everyone else but what could I do about it?

Sherlock walked over to his seat which I was occupying and motioned with his hand for me to move. Glaring, I did so and sat crossed legged on the sofa with Mycroft sat next to me.

"So?" I demanded.

"We really think it'll be best if we don't tell you." Sherlock stated.

"Tough." I replied, my face set in a hard glare.

"Alice, we aren't telling you." Mycroft said.

I turned to him angrily. I hated not knowing and I hated when they kept things from me. I wasn't a child. It wasn't like I didn't understand. "Why not?! You said you would!"

"Come on, Sherlock. Whatever it is, it can't be that bad." John said, looking at Sherlock worriedly.

Sherlock grimaced and I knew he was fighting the urge to tell us. He could barely deny John anything.

"Please, Uncle Mycroft. Tell us." I said, also playing the guilt card, looking at Mycroft pleadingly. His solid resolve weakened slightly and his eyes grew soft and I knew he was almost going to tell me. "Please?"

He sighed and looked at Sherlock who was still staring at John like it was paining him to keep whatever it was a secret.

"Sherlock?" Mycroft questioned like he was asking permission.

The sound of Mycroft's voice tore Sherlock's gaze from John's worried face and almost immediately both their expressions became serious again.

"No." Sherlock said, watching Mycroft as he said it.

I frowned in frustration. I hated when they worked together. They worked so well that it was insufferable.

Of course, I loved them getting on and being nice to one another but a secret protected by both Sherlock and Mycroft was harder to get into than the Bank of England. I growled with frustration and crossed my arms angrily.

Mycroft chuckled beside me. "Sulking, Alice?"

"Shut up." I muttered.

I wanted to know what it was. There was only one way I'd be able to find out and that wasn't from asking Sherlock or Mycroft. I'd have to find out myself. I got up from the sofa and walked to the hallway.