Chapter 10: Feeling Useless

I rest in Mason's arms as he carries me through the woods towards the pack house in silence. I lean my head against his shoulder and drown out the sharp pain in my ribs from each breath. Despite the constant pain and the horrible situation we're about to walk into, it's very peaceful out here. However, whatever peace I'm feeling right now I have no doubt is soon going to dissipate when we hit those cells. I know that if this Rogue is going to give information away about whatever Dylan is planning, it only means that he's planning on getting something in return. Knowing Mason, the only thing that little fucker is going to get is me being there... and I'm sure Mason isn't comfortable with that. I'm not comfortable with it, but this is a necessary evil to get the information we need to keep this pack better prepared.

"Okay," Mason says as he stops in front of the building. I glance up at the building and keep my breathing even as I push down any nerves in my stomach. I turn my eyes to Mason, and I can see that he's seeing right through my façade. "You are only going down there because we need this information, and you want to face that asshole after what he did to you. I don't like this one bit," he speaks, watching me closely. I roll my eyes and shake my head at him. He may not like this, but we need this information, and he can get over it. Mason sighs and gives me a pointed look but decides to keep his mouth shut this time. He turns his attention back to Jason and Brandon.

"If things go south in there, at all, you take her away and take her straight home," his attention is mainly on Brandon. Brandon nods his head in understanding, and I can't help but roll my eyes again. I get why they are so on edge. Whatever these Rogues did to catch me off guard is unsettling. I may be hurt now, but I'm not completely useless. I can still handle being near a Rogue. "I know he's in a cell, but if he wants her in there then there is no telling what he's going to say or try to do. If anything comes out of his mouth that upsets her, I want her out of the room, Brandon. Is that understood?" I don't appreciate the way he's talking about me as if I'm not here, but I know there's nothing I can do to change that right now. He's uncomfortable with this situation, so I guess I can overlook it... this time.

"Yes, Alpha," Brandon answers right away. He glances at me and sees the annoyed look I'm shooting at him before he continues. "Alpha, are you sure you want me to take her home instead of waiting for you to finish?" Mason growls lowly at him. Brandon lowers his eyes and fights to explain himself. I can see him trying to come up with some excuse as to why he wants to stay close for me, but I can see him struggling.

'I want you to take me home. I know you're going to kick me out if things get bad, but my wolf is not going to want anyone else carrying me around right now, sweetie. I've been asleep and away from you for too long. Please don't make me leave,' I speak into Mason's mind as I squeeze his neck. He glances over at me before looking back at Brandon.

"You can wait for me upstairs. I'll take her home myself. I'm going to need you to follow me to the house though. I would like to talk to you about something, you should probably bring Mary as well." What did Mason need to talk to them about? It has to be important if it's involving Mary. I don't even know if Mary wants to be around me. We haven't been around each other much since that day at the mall. Including this week, even with me being unconscious, that's been three weeks now. I make a mental note to try to smooth things over with her when I get back home. She's Brandon's mate, and I need to fix this rift I've created between us.

"Is everything okay?" Brandon's voice is dripping with worrying. I lift my head and look at Mason as well. Brandon hasn't done anything that I'm aware of that would get them in trouble, which just makes me nosey about why Mason wants to speak with them. Mason squeezes my legs slightly and sends a slightly annoyed look at me. I guess I forgot to put up a block in my mind. I smile at him shyly and glance back at Brandon.