Chapter 3: Getting Settled

When the morning light pulls me out of my deep slumber, I find the spot next to me in bed empty. I fight back the upset feelings about not getting to see Mason before he had to head out, but I know he has to get an early start on his Alpha duties. I sigh and lie there, staring up at the ceiling above me for a couple more minutes. I don't want to get out of bed. These last three days have been exhausting, trying to work on getting settled into a new pack. All of that without actually going out onto the territory, but that's going to change today. I have to learn the territory and learn the role of being a leader to this pack. Unfortunately, none of that can be done from our bed.

Sighing, I force my tired body out of bed and towards the shower that's attached to our room. I find myself still surprised by how amazing this house is. In the last few days, I've wandered around, getting used to my surroundings. It has four bedrooms, all of which have their own bathrooms attached to them. A huge kitchen, a big living room, two different game type rooms – one filled with different gaming systems, one filled with mostly movies – and finishing off the house is Mason's office. Our bathroom is extremely luxurious. I glance at the walk-in shower and then over at the separate tub, trying to decide which I would actually like to do today. As I try to decide, I walk over to one of the sinks and look at my reflection. I can't quite determine what it is about the girl staring back at me, but she looks different. She seems... happier. So much at ease. I like the way she looks too. I haven't seen my reflection look like this since before my father started acting strange at home. Honestly, now that I think about it, I may never have looked this happy. Shaking my head to rid myself of those kinds of thoughts, I turn on the shower, allowing the water to warm up enough for my liking. I strip off the clothes that I had fallen asleep in and inspect my body. The cuts and bruises from my running through the woods are now completely gone.

Shaking that night off, I step into the water. It feels amazing as it cascades down my body, relaxing my stiff muscles. I look around the shower and notice Mason already has shampoo, conditioner, and body wash on the rack next to his... all of which are meant for women. I'm hesitant to use them, seeing as I don't know if he put them in here for me to use or if they are what's left over from his previous lover. My wolf growls at the thought of someone else seeing what is meant for our eyes, but I quickly calm her down by reminding her he's ours forever. We're who just crawled out of his bed and are about to shower in his home, not her. She isn't important, we are. My wolf retreats into the back of my mind, still not happy with the idea that Mason was with someone else. She still loves our mate deeply, but she's hurt that he and his wolf aren't as pure as we are.

Instead of using the women's shampoo, I grab Mason's and pour a small amount into my hand. I lather the amazing smelling soap into my hair as I enjoy how I'm going to smell like my mate. My wolf surfaces slightly as she relishes in the part of what we smell on our mate as I wash myself. After finishing up everything, I turn the water off and grab one of the towels hanging on the rack by the door. I wrap it around my wet body and fold it under my arms so it won't fall off when I'm walking around to get the rest of my stuff.

I grab a smaller towel and begin towel drying my hair, not wanting to drip water all over the place as I move around. As I walk out of the bathroom, I jump at the sight of Mason sitting on our bed. I was too busy focusing on enjoying my shower I didn't even notice he came into the room. His eyes are focused on his phone as he casually sits there reading the screen. His legs are covered in a pair of worn blue jeans and he's wearing a black T-shirt that's tight in all the right places. I'm so busy checking him out that I don't even remember that I'm only in a towel.

"God, Mason! You scared the shit out of me!" I scold him as place my hand over my racing heart. He lifts his head but doesn't reply. I watch his eyes scan the length of my body. I feel heat spread across my cheeks as I twiddle with my fingers waiting for him to stop staring at me like that. I tighten my hold on my towel, securing it further as I look down at my feet. My wolf is loving this. She wants to jump him right now and have her way with him, and honestly, I do too, but I'm not ready for that. I shift my weight from foot to foot as I glance up at him through my lashes. His eyes make their way up my body until they meet my eyes.