Chapter 5: Shopping

The sun shining through the window stirs me from my sleep. As I open my eyes I glance at the clock to see it's now nine o'clock. I don't know when I fell asleep after Mason left, but it was much needed. Rolling over so that my back is against the mattress, I just look up at the ceiling lost in thought. I know I need to get up, but I really don't want to. If I could, I would just lie in bed all day without doing anything... but I don't get that luxury. I sit up and sigh as I stretch my arms over my head. Mason is letting Brandon take me and Mary to the mall today – with extra guards that he slipped into the conversation – so staying in bed isn't an option today. I listen for any noises inside the house to let me know if Brandon is already there and am rewarded with soft laughter downstairs.

'Hey, are you guys in the house?' I ask Brandon through the pack link. I'm pretty sure that's them I'm hearing, but one can never be too sure.

'Yeah, we got here not long after the Alpha left. He said we could just hang out down here while you slept. He said you had a rough morning, and we should disturb you,' he replies back almost instantly. I let him know that I'll be down there soon, I just have to get ready for the day.

Climbing out of bed, I make my way towards the bathroom. I turn the shower on as I start peeling my clothes off as the water begins to heat up. Walking back to the mirror, I smile at the reflection I see. I was never really the type of girl who didn't like her appearance, but even I can't deny that I look different... better even. I look stronger now, less afraid of what's going to happen to me. I look happy. My gaze travels down the side of my neck to where my mark resides. It's still red, but it will eventually fade away to black where it will permanently remain. I like seeing Mason's mark on me. It shows that I'm his, and he is mine. It will be nice to have when I have to go back into town, in case I run into anyone.

When the steam from the shower starts to fog the mirror over, I turn and climb inside. I let the liquid wash away all the stress that has built up over the past few days. The tension in my muscles is going to be the death of me if I don't find some relief. Dealing with Nikki, meeting Mason's parents unexpectedly, finding out my former pack isn't going to just let me go, and nightmares are really taking a toll on me. I haven't even officially started taking on the role of Luna yet... hell, the pack hasn't even been formally introduced to me and I'm feeling this way. I need to go for a run, but I know Mason would not like me doing that alone. I'll have to talk to him about that later.

Clearing my head of everything going on, I finish my routine in the shower before turning the water off and climbing out. I wrap the towel around my body and walk over to the mirror. Reaching up, I swipe my hand across the glass so I can see my reflection and finish up everything else that needs to be done. With the towel still wrapped around my body, I brush my teeth and then run a comb through my hair. After drying off my body, I pull on a pair of blue silk panties and matching bra. I walk back into the bedroom and grab my clothes for the day. I stand staring at the clothes arranged in the closet and decide to go simple with a pair of jean shorts and a black tank top with my black converse. It's hot outside and I don't know how much walking we're going to be doing while shopping, so I'd rather be prepared and comfortable than be miserable.

I walk back into the bathroom and plug in the blow dryer Mason got me the night I came here. I don't know where he got it from, but it was greatly appreciated. My hair is naturally straight, but without something to dry it my hair takes on a mind of its own and can become troublesome. I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling of the warm air as it moves through my hair, running my fingers through it at the same time to feel where it's still wet. When I'm done, I run a brush through the red strands and watch it lie flat against my head as usual. I push the front strands behind my ears and nod at my reflection.