Chapter 7: Peaceful Bliss

I lie on my back, still tangled in Mason, him still inside of me, as we both work to catch our breaths. I've never felt anything like what we just did and I know I never will again. As happy as I am that we waited until we were ready, after that I don't know why I didn't just jump his bones in the woods that first day we were together.

He shifts slightly and I gasp as I feel him slide out. The empty feeling is shocking, but he quickly rolls us until I'm lying on my side with my front pressed firmly to his side. We lie there in silence for several minutes. The silence is peaceful. I close my eyes and inhale his scent as I feel Mason's fingers run along the span on my bare back. I'm sore, but I've never felt stronger than I do in this moment. We're finally one – as mates are meant to be. I press my weight more into his side and sigh in content. I can't help but smile against his chest as I think of everything he did to me. I knew I was pretty much clueless about all things sex because it was never something we talked about back home, but I didn't realize just how clueless I was. The things he did to me, I didn't even know it was possible to feel that way. I had expectations for what my first time would be like, as I'm sure every girl does, but there was something about the way Mason held me that just shattered whatever expectations I could have ever dreamt up.

It was beyond anything I could have ever asked for.

"What are you smiling about?" he asks, smiling down at me. I turn my head and rest my chin against his chest as I smile up at him.

His amber eyes are brighter than I've ever seen them before, and it spreads more warmth through my chest. God, I love this man.

"I'm just really happy right now. That's all," I whisper, the smile never faltering from my face. When I'm old, and watching my grandbabies run around our house, this is what I want to think back on. Not the fact that I just made love to my mate, but the feeling of pure happiness and peacefulness I'm feeling right now. Even with a possible war looming over us, there is nothing that can take away the joy and love I feel in this moment. It's as if the rest of the world has faded away to nothing more than background noise.

"You don't," he pauses, hesitation clear in his voice. "You don't regret it, right?" he asks timidly. I can see the worry in his eyes, but there is no point in any of that. Even with the slight hesitation I had before we started, that all faded away the moment we lay down in our bed. I love him, and he loves me and that's all that matters. I don't want him to be worried that what we just did was anything short of what I wanted because that is the exact opposite from the truth.

"Mason," I start as I lift myself up on an elbow so I can see him clearly. He needs to see that there is no regret in my eyes. I wanted this. I always will. "What we did was exactly what I wanted to do." He still looks at me skeptically, like he believes I'm just saying this for his sake. I smile softly as I trace his strong jaw with my thumb before resting my hand against the side of his neck. "I love you. I could never in any way regret what we did. I have wanted it from the moment I ran into you in the woods. Yes, I wanted to wait, and we did wait. Mason, I regret nothing. I couldn't have pictured tonight being anymore perfect. You were perfect... we were perfect." I can still see the worry in his eyes. "Don't worry about me. I'm in a state of bliss right now. Was it... okay for you?" I ask, fear slowly seeping into my voice.

I hadn't even thought that maybe while I was having the best time of my life, he was stuck comparing me to his past. He's had sex before obviously, but this isn't just sex with us. We made love to each other, and that must count for something right? Surely, I wasn't thought to be inadequate compared to her. My stomach twists at the mere thought of him not enjoying himself. I move to pull away. but he quickly rolls us until my back is pressed against the bed again.