Chapter 27- Ugly, Scaly Dogs

COPYRIGHT 2013

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

CHAPTER 27- UGLY, SCALY DOGS

My body felt numb as I forced my self up the steps to the Palace Home. The doors swung open and Dalia and a huge man with long hair swept out with masks of concern.

"Cassy! Are you okay?" Dalia opened her arms and I fell into them, "Shhh, it's alright, shh. Shush..."

"I... I..." I felt a timid hand on my hair, and a deep voice that made me think of Kavos'.

"You could've died."

"Karn!" Dalia snapped, "Not the time, Aren." 

"No, Kali, it's true." I pulled out of Dalia's arms, and turned to face Aren's green eyed gaze.

"You killed Creepers, risking your own life, your sword skills need to be smartened up but you still did it. You must know we are grateful; do you know what the Creepers do?" I shook my head, I doubted whatever he would say could make me feel any better, "They raid the villages still supporting us. Children have been going missing. Crops have been spoiled by the Creepers. My people are starving. It pains me to see them this way.

"But you! You have made the first move against Karoth's shadow of fear. You fought back, you have turned my people's spark of hope into a roaring fire." I smiled, despite my despair.

"We now have the hope my son and daughter will return to Coria." Aren looked down at the floor solemnly, before looking up, and gathering Dalia in his arms, and for the first time I saw the love they held together in their hearts. They laughed together, and I smiled, the only thing that was missing were their children...

"Cassy?" Dalia called to me, bringing me back from my distant thoughts.

"Yes? Sorry, you were saying?"

"Marva is leaving in a couple of hours, so if your up for it, you should go down and say goodbye." Dalia informed me. 

"Oh, okay. Tell me, do you know of a maid called 'Maria'? The daughter of Kavos and Caron?" Dalia shared a look with Aren.

"We know of a Maria."

"How...?" I asked.

"She was left for us to look after us."

"Where can I find her?"

"Why the interest?"

"Kavos and Caron were my-"

"Guardians, yes, I remember, they didn't want to take Maria with them, because taking Maria could have put her in danger." Aren told us.

"Yes! So she is Maria then? Well, it must be." Dalia caught my arm as I turned to go.

"She's a very angry person."

-----

Later, I was in a kitchen, with stone walls surrounding me, lined with drying flowers hanging on the walls, and pots of herbs on shelves.

"So, my parents left me, for you?" It wasn't a question that fell out of Maria's heart shaped lips, it was a statement. I had explained my story to the brown eyed, bushy haired girl in front of me.

"Until, a couple of days ago, I didn't know I had a sister!" I laughed uneasily, Maria was not who I expected her to be.

"I am not your sister!" She almost yelled. I stood up alarmed. Her eyes followed me with a hatred.

"You've had it all! You have your dragons, you had my parents! You had a LIFE!" She screamed. My eyes squeezed shut, and my fists balled. I could not stand being shouted at.

"And your dragons are just ugly, scaly dogs and when you cold bloodedly kill, your suddenly the best thing that ever happened to Coria!" She screamed at me. 

"Ugly? Scaly? Dogs?!" I asked quietly, looking at the floor.

"Yes! Ugly, scaly dogs!" I punched Maria in the face. A gasp rippled through the whole kitchen.

I turned and fled to my ugly, scaly dogs. 

*****

Next chapter after 30 reads ;)

I hope you like this one :)

Have a nice day/morning/afternoon/evening :)