I'll understand

Stevie was met by Karen at the airport in Sydney the following day. She wore her sunglasses, hair pulled back in a ponytail, dressed in her usual 'uniform', keeping her head down. The Fleetwood Mac tour was soon to start and people were raving about it, so she wanted to do everything she could to remain unnoticed. 

"Stevie, hi..." Karen greeted her not very excited boss. "It took you so long to come out, were there any troubles?"

"No, Karen. I'm not a child, I can travel by myself."

"I know that, I just-"

"Worry, yeah. Well, don't. I'm 67 for God's sake! I can ask for directions if needed."

Karen sighed, knowing she should just shut up and stop trying to get through to Stevie, that was obviously not going to work. Instead, she guided Stevie to a black SUV, that would bring them back to the hotel. 

Lindsey is right, this is my fault, Stevie thought to herself, looking out the window at the city as they passed it by. They were definitely headed the right way and she ruined it. She honestly felt like she made a wise choice, deciding to sort the problem on her own, because she didn't want Lindsey to be reminded of her affair yet again. Clearly, she was wrong. Although, at the same time she was thanking him too. If not for that phone call, she was quite sure she and Don would have gone all the way. Nevertheless, she had enough to feel guilty about.

The car stopped too soon, as the driver opened the door to help the women out. Karen once again led the way, Stevie trailing behind her. "I don't need any more of your assistants, I'll inform you when I do."

"But, Stevie-"

"Karen." She said, a warning tone of voice, then she headed towards to elevators and to the room she stayed in with Lindsey, when she first came with the rest of the band.

When she entered, the room was quiet, she looked around, obviously Lindsey wasn't there. She started thinking that maybe he booked himself another room, but most likely he was out and up to no good...

Stevie decided to do her best not to come up with all sorts of scenarios in her head and just wait. It was going on 9 pm, so she picked up her nightgown and went to the bathroom, to freshen up and change, hoping that Lindsey would show up any minute.

She stepped out of the shower no more than fifteen minutes later, grabbing the towel to dry herself off. She tossed it away and reached for her nightwear, pulling it down over her head, before she took the brush, running it through her hair. 

She was so lost in her thoughts, she got startled, hearing... "You actually came back."

"Jesus, Lindsey..." She breathed, clutching at her chest. "You scared me."

"I didn't think you'd listen and come back." It was as if he wasn't hearing her. 

"Of course I did." She carefully approached him, wanting to touch him, but she was kind of afraid to. 

"Why do you insist on hurting me?" Yes, that was definitely alcohol on his breath, she thought.

"Lindsey, I didn't mean to hurt you." She looked at him, her heart breaking. "I swear to you. I just didn't want you to be involved in all this mess. I honestly thought I would deal with it and it would be over and you wouldn't have to worry."

"You still could have told me."

"I know, that was wrong of me, I admit."

"Did you do it, because you wanted to be with him? Alone?"

"No, absolutely not. I just... I needed to explain the situation to Don and for him to also tel me, what was happening. I could have taken it from there myself."

"But?"

"He insisted seeing the therapist with me, to give her a piece of his mind. But you don't have to think about it any more, baby. It's dealt with. She explained why she went to the press, apparently her husband cheated and left her, that's why she hates people like... me. I paid her off and she won't be a problem anymore. I did feel horrible after that encounter." She sighed, as they still stood in the bathroom. "I was angry at myself mostly and I was ready to cry for the rest of the day. I regret it immensely."

"What about him? Will he still be a problem?"

"Hopefully no."

Lindsey locked their eyes, as if he was trying to read her mind. She looked guilty. And having known her for so long, he was almost sure his senses weren't lying. "What are you not telling me?"

"What? I-"

"Stevie, what did you do? You better come clean about anything you did or it will hurt our relationship even more than it is already."

She hung her head low, rubbing her hands nervously. "You'll get mad."

"Oh, for crying out loud..." He shook his head, exhaling deeply as he went to the bedroom, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "You-"

"I didn't have sex with Don. But we kissed. Twice."

"God..."

"The first time he did it, I pushed him away, then the other happened before you called, we were a little drunk and-"

"You fucking lied to me! I asked and you said you weren't with him!"

"Lindsey, I'm sorry!"

"Well, screw that! Your apologies mean nothing! What? Please, tell me what do I have to do so you wouldn't go running back to your ex? What am I not capable of giving you anymore?!"

"It's not about it! I don't even know why it happened, I wasn't initiating it or-"

"But you didn't push him away when he tried kissing you the second time, did you?"

"I love you, you have to believe me." She knelt in front of him. 

"Saying that won't fix anything. It doesn't stop you from being a... a-"

"A whore?"

"Yes. Yes, exactly that." 

She wiped away a tear that escaped, not fighting back. "You must hate me."

"I wish I could, honestly." He stood up, walking away from her. "I... I need to get out of here."

"Where are you going to?"

"I don't know." He shrugged. "Don't wait for me."

"I'll understand. Anything you decide to do tonight, I'll understand and forgive you." She chocked up on her words, as it was tearing her apart to be saying something like that. 

Without looking back, Lindsey grabbed his room card and left a sobbing Stevie.